Samsung ATIV Book 5 NP530U4E and NP540U4E

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Atom Ant, Jan 28, 2013.

?

What do you miss the most in this laptop?

1. HD+ matte screen?

65.2%
  2. HD+ glossy touchscreen?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Optical drive?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. mSata port?

8.7%
  5. more USB 3.0 ports?

4.3%
  6. AMD A10 APU?

8.7%
  7. Other, I'll write in the forum

13.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fly1333

fly1333 Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah ok. Thanks for the clarification.

2. Kynodontas

Kynodontas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I have this laptop and I'm thinking of doing a clean install of windows, but I know that the hard drive has a 24GB ExpressCache SSD, so how do I make it possible to install the windows in the SSD? Or should I just install it normaly as in any other hard drive?

Thanks

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Your computer cannot boot directly from the ExpressCache SSD (iSSD) since that was designed just for cache. So you'll have to leave the boot partition on the HDD (MSR if you have a Legacy BIOS system, EFI system partition if you have an UEFI system) then add the new Windows installation on the iSSD to the boot menu. Of course uninstall ExpressCache and Intel Rapid Start before you begin (since they use the iSSD).

Be very careful what you do, particularly on Series 5 models with ExpressCache running in UEFI mode. See this thread for recent horror stories. If I had a 24GB iSSD (unfortunately I only have 8GB) I would want to try this myself. But I would NOT dare do it in UEFI mode, since you risk your BIOS getting stuck wanting to boot only from the iSSD -- which it can't.

If you're going to install normally (on the HDD) you should install from DVD, not from USB, otherwise you will run into another issue on these models, where Windows Setup will mistakenly see the iSSD as the boot device and places its boot partition there. If you MUST install from USB (which I really don't recommend) you will have to use one of the workarounds in posts #1 or #2 in this thread. That's for Legacy BIOS installations only, NOT UEFI installation.

Kynodontas likes this.
  4. Kynodontas

Kynodontas Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot Dannemand! I'll investigate into it from now on, it's good to be aware of the possible problems first! The issue about installing from DVD is that this laptop doens't have a DVD-driver, so I guess it's easier to invest on an external one.

5. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I know, that's a peculiar issue with these models, that Samsung delivered them with no DVD drive, yet they cannot really be installed from USB -- except with some extreme workarounds and some actual risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.