Samsung AMD-powered ATIV Book 9 Lite NP905S3G / NP915S3G

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 4, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The AMD-powered Samsung ATIV Book 9 Lite was previewed at the Samsung show in London on 20th June.

Amazon UK is now listing this notebook as being available for pre-order for release on 19th July. There are two models:

(i) NP905S3G without touchscreen for £499 in black or white

and

(ii) NP915S3G with touchscreen for £599 in black or white

Specification data is sparse at present but reports from 20th June indicated that the display is only 1366 x 768.

The price loading for the touchscreen version is surprisingly large. Perhaps Samsung expect people to go for this version.

John

2. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Any chance of switching out the panel? I assume it would be $500 US, which is pretty cheap.

3. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Or maybe Samsung will offer the unit with a better panel once the other Series 9s have moved to FHD or higher.

A bit of research suggests that the CPU is the AMD A6-1450. It's a long way down the notebookcheck benchmark list.

John

4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    They expect it wrong :), for example I would pay extra for the non-touch matte screen. Otherwise very interesting laptop, probably I'll buy few for parents, girlfriend to change their current monstrous laptops.

Any info if coming with backlit keyboard?

5. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ouch. 1851 vs 3892 (i7 3537U) on cpu bench is a big step down. It's no wonder intel can charge ridiculous prices if this is their competition. Of course my sandy i5 is only 2304.

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    There's no trace of the backlit keyboard (Fn+F9 / F10 controls in the current User Manual (which is available to download through SW Update) so I don't think that it is on the agenda. The name on the manual folder suggests the model code name is Petra-13.

However, TPM is an option listed in the manual so Samsung must be thinking of having some corporate customers.

The CPU won't win any races but combining it with an SSD will probably make the computer feel more responsive than many notebooks with a much faster CPU coupled to a normal HDD. I expect it will handle web browsing and office apps smoothly which will address the needs of users who want more than a tablet but less than a big notebook. Perhaps a more up-to-date version of the Samsung NC20 (which is still in daily use).

John

7. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can the RAM and the SSD be upgraded? What about the wireless card?

8. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

Reputations:
    But wait a second, watching carefully the amazon's picture;

I can see signs on the F9 and F10 keys. Aren't those signs indicates the light?

I wonder if it use mSata or 2.5" 7mm SSD...

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, those are definitely Fn-keys to control keyboard backlight.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The RAM is probably soldered (and most likely only single channel) but the SSD is likely to be socketed. However, we won't be sure until someone gets one and opens it up.

But is the picture of the Series 9 Lite or borrowed from another Series 9? I'm sure the Lite's display won't look like that when viewed from above. I would trust the keyboard photo (presumably taken on the 20 June Premiere) more:

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Lite is a tiny, quad-core laptop (pictures) image 6 - CNET Reviews

At 17mm thick I would expect it to have mSATA or M.2 SSD. Having a 2.5" drive just adds weight and cost to the basic board.

John