1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung AMD-powered ATIV Book 9 Lite NP905S3G / NP915S3G

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 4, 2013.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

The AMD-powered Samsung ATIV Book 9 Lite was previewed at the Samsung show in London on 20th June.

Amazon UK is now listing this notebook as being available for pre-order for release on 19th July. There are two models:

(i) NP905S3G without touchscreen for £499 in black or white

and

(ii) NP915S3G with touchscreen for £599 in black or white

Specification data is sparse at present but reports from 20th June indicated that the display is only 1366 x 768.

The price loading for the touchscreen version is surprisingly large. Perhaps Samsung expect people to go for this version.

John

2. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Any chance of switching out the panel? I assume it would be $500 US, which is pretty cheap.

3. John Ratsey

Or maybe Samsung will offer the unit with a better panel once the other Series 9s have moved to FHD or higher.

A bit of research suggests that the CPU is the AMD A6-1450. It's a long way down the notebookcheck benchmark list.

John

4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Hello, here I go again

They expect it wrong :), for example I would pay extra for the non-touch matte screen. Otherwise very interesting laptop, probably I'll buy few for parents, girlfriend to change their current monstrous laptops.

Any info if coming with backlit keyboard?

5. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Ouch. 1851 vs 3892 (i7 3537U) on cpu bench is a big step down. It's no wonder intel can charge ridiculous prices if this is their competition. Of course my sandy i5 is only 2304.

6. John Ratsey

There's no trace of the backlit keyboard (Fn+F9 / F10 controls in the current User Manual (which is available to download through SW Update) so I don't think that it is on the agenda. The name on the manual folder suggests the model code name is Petra-13.

However, TPM is an option listed in the manual so Samsung must be thinking of having some corporate customers.

The CPU won't win any races but combining it with an SSD will probably make the computer feel more responsive than many notebooks with a much faster CPU coupled to a normal HDD. I expect it will handle web browsing and office apps smoothly which will address the needs of users who want more than a tablet but less than a big notebook. Perhaps a more up-to-date version of the Samsung NC20 (which is still in daily use).

John

7. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Can the RAM and the SSD be upgraded? What about the wireless card?

8. Atom Ant

But wait a second, watching carefully the amazon's picture;

[Image=240]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61LsWcUZbaL._SL1024_.jpg[/Image]

I can see signs on the F9 and F10 keys. Aren't those signs indicates the light?

I wonder if it use mSata or 2.5" 7mm SSD...

9. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Yes, those are definitely Fn-keys to control keyboard backlight.

10. John Ratsey

The RAM is probably soldered (and most likely only single channel) but the SSD is likely to be socketed. However, we won't be sure until someone gets one and opens it up.

But is the picture of the Series 9 Lite or borrowed from another Series 9? I'm sure the Lite's display won't look like that when viewed from above. I would trust the keyboard photo (presumably taken on the 20 June Premiere) more:

Samsung Ativ Book 9 Lite is a tiny, quad-core laptop (pictures) image 6 - CNET Reviews

At 17mm thick I would expect it to have mSATA or M.2 SSD. Having a 2.5" drive just adds weight and cost to the basic board.

John

11. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

You mentioned having access to the service manual, can you post a link to it?

12. Atom Ant

You are probably right with all these, this site also says no backlit keyboard. And Number of memory slots 0, Maximum internal memory 4GB.
    However for internet browsing 4GB Memory is enough, I just miss the backlit keys very much...

13. John Ratsey

Not the service manual but the user manual (guide). You can get it through SW Update (find the NP905S3G). Note that it is a 500MB download because they have put PDF manuals for innumerable languages all in one package.

John

14. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

I agree, that's overpriced. At $500 I would try it out as a beater, but that cpu is significantly slower than a sandy bridge. And it weighs significantly more, has a poor screen. :p

15. DackEW

DackEW Notebook Consultant

Look like the US version screwed up with touchscreen.

16. John Ratsey

Customers will have a choice: There are also a couple of USA non-touch versions in SW Update's database.

John

17. John Ratsey

18. kaupo8

kaupo8 Notebook Enthusiast

Slower than sandy bridge? It's slower even than intel C2D P serie... I saw this in my store, so I was curios to look up that processor. Any ideas about battery life?
    Even my 2 year old v131 looks great. I can't even imagine what battery life i could get with Haswell. Even now with i5 2430 wifi browsing is possible 7-8hours...

19. John Ratsey

We wait to see but a slow CPU with an SSD will probably feel faster in everyday usage than a faster CPU with an HDD.

John

20. kaupo8

kaupo8 Notebook Enthusiast

True, but I have put ssd myself :) Shame i can't make haswell+6cell combo :rolleyes: