Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by SoundsGood, Jan 5, 2011.

1. _tangent

_tangent Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank's John - i will download the software you suggest. I did notice that during the processor tests, my cpu speed was at 1.4ghz (i have a cpu win7 gadget which shows speed and load on all cores) but the load on all cores never reached 100%...

I've dug through the power management options in windows, and there are options like passive/active cooling and min/max cpu state, but these are all already "maxed out". I'm doing the test on the "max performance" power management preset, and have double checked the options for this preset to make sure everything is set to max possible performance. Still, i'm missing out by 4/10ths according to some. I know its not a huge amount, but it is approaching 10%...

I tried fiddling with the power saving mode (disabling it) and it made no difference to the score. But if yours are both enabled/auto anyway and you're getting 6.3, that presumably isn't the problem. This is rather strange. Could AV be causing it does anyone think?

Yeah i'm scoring 5.9 for CPU as well. Would love to get to the bottom of this...

2. Series9user

Series9user Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Well I splurged and bought the service manual from Samsung's parts site for $18. Learned at least two things:

1. You can use 1.8" SSD drives that goes up to 256 GB. They take different connectors.

2. Samsung ran into a problem with Wimaxx. They could not put WLAN, Bluetooth and WiMaxx in at the same time. So, they ended up with two specs, the Broadcom WLAN with BT 3.0 or an Intel WLAN with Wimaxx.

Excerpt from Spec Sheet:

"802.11bg/n 2x2 WLAN and BT3.0 HS Combo Impossible to apply together BT3.0 and WIMAX
    Intel WIMAX + Intel WLAN 802.11bg/n (2x2) Combo (for BBY)"

3. nr2007

nr2007 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    best i could get was 5.4 , don't know how you guys are getting 6.3

Attached Files:

4. AndroidDeer

AndroidDeer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone successfully replaced the WLAN adapter with Intel 6230? Will it make the wifi on the laptop behave normal?

And how about 6300 adapter? Does it consume more power than the stock one? How much does it improve on wifi signal and speed?

5. AndroidDeer

AndroidDeer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing. Do you have the device? Have you had any wifi issue and do you have any tips to fix it?

6. HugFox

HugFox Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have anyone here with the Samsung checked what temperatures they get in the laptop? It seems mine's around 50-55C while idling or doing simple tasks (surfing etc) - The fan doesn't sound at all at this point, even with the AC plugged in and power settings configured at performance.

EDIT: My CPU score is 6.0, and that's without a clean install.

7. _tangent

_tangent Newbie

Reputations:
    We're talking about the CPU score, not the over-all experience score (which is just limited to your lowest category score), and you got 5.9 which is the most i can get too. So, still not up there at 6.3! Though not quite as far out as you thought.

Still, I would love to know what i have to do to get my CPU score up to 6.3...

8. SamCat

SamCat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    FWIW, I checked the index again. CPU score is still 6.3 (always has been).

Don't know if it matters, but my power settings are Samsung Optimized. I haven't done any modifications to the laptop.

9. _tangent

_tangent Newbie

Reputations:
    When you say you checked it again, do you mean you re-ran the test?

I have no idea how you managed that, because if i leave mine on samsung optimised its down at 5.3/5.4. I have to use max performance to get 5.9. Do you have any AV software running or anything like that?

There MUST be a reason for this...

10. SamCat

SamCat Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes, I re-ran the test just to see if the speed was time dependent. I don't use this laptop a lot. You probably know this, but you have to be plugged into an outlet to run the Windows Experience index. Won't run on battery.

And, yes, I have an AV program. I am running MSE for my AV.

Is it possible that you have a different model? I'm on the US version with WLAN and BT and Win 7 Home. I know that there is a version with Win 7 Pro.

Someone, I forget who, had a much higher graphics score than I did. (Mine is 4.6.) Do you think it is possible since the memory is shared that a faster graphics chip is reducing the cpu speed somehow? Can't see how that would matter, but just thought I would throw that out.

Sorry I can't be more help.