1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by SoundsGood, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Mykinius

Mykinius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nah, the root of the problem was the bad antenna placement in the laptop given the signal-blocking material it was made out of. There's a reason the newest versions of the laptop (starting with the B01-UB in the US) have a additional, 3rd antenna behind the screen.

2. Tazzer

Tazzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No one has checked that there is really a third antenna in B01-UB model from BestBuy. We know for sure, that there is WIFI Intel 6300 3x3 which supports 3 antennas, but it supports two antennas too, but guys who bought it say that the wifi problems are gone (no mention about changing the Power Savings mode) - it gives us hope that there are really 3 antennas.

3. Mykinius

Mykinius Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Actually, axbl has checked and took pictures!
    (^ from earlier in the thread)

4. crossover22

crossover22 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm glad to see the issue is resolved for Bestbuy's UB model. Unfortunately I was waiting for the responses about the WIFI and the price went up today to $1099. I may just go pick it up anyway. Is the power outlet problem resolved also?

5. theorbo

theorbo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey all - sorry I haven't been back sooner. I haven't noticed any issues with the WiFi since I bought my Best Buy version last week that has the 3x3 antenna. I do experience the difference in speed with AC vs. on battery but I understand how it's a compromise of the Samsung Optimized power profile and I'm ok with that. I'll know what I need to change if I'm ever in a battery-only situation and need the full bandwidth.

One issue I am experiencing is a dark spot on the lower left of the LCD (screen) near the start button and adjacent to the bezel. Has anyone read or experienced anything similar to this type of display darkening or issue with the screen? It's annoying and I worry that it will only grow worse with time.

Is there anything I can do and try to rectify the situation? It figures, the minute I get most things setup to my liking I have an issue.

I've tried to search this thread but i get no results every time i try it.

Thanks!

6. Tazzer

Reputations:
    Unfortunately you are wrong:

it was from Austria, not from BestBuy (model UB). So still we don't know for sure if there are 3 antennas.

No one has answered this question regarding UB model from BestBuy.

7. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  8. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    Wow.. the whole problem is caused by a power saving setting?

Can anyone verify this fix?

9. Janus0070

Janus0070 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The same thing was reported somewhere in the middle of this thread - unfortunately this fix does not work for me, I am still unable to connect. Besides, I have mostly used this laptop on AC power with Max Wifi performance..

10. Tazzer

Reputations:
    It could be only a minor cause of the wifi issue. I think that Samsung's support would recommend this settings instead of changing the wifi adapter from Broadcome to Intel 6230 - it's more logical.

In Poland we have something like: "Article is inconsistent with the contract" - it's apart from the guarantee and last always for 2 years (manufacturer independent, the responsibility lies on the seller). No working WIFI would be a very good reason to give back the laptop to the seller. Maybe your country has such law too.

11. Janus0070

Reputations:
    Oh, I wish it would be that simple! In the reality though the local dealers and the local repair shops refused to recognize poor performance as fault - they already replaced Broadcom with Intel 6230 for me, but that was it and they budged no further. I could not even return it, as the fault was "certified" to have been corrected. With Intel the WiFi works OK in close proximity to routers, at perfectly normal distance of 15m and with one cardboard wall in between the WiFi quality drops to unusable.

12. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
    It's a mal functioning laptop in my opinion. If it was my money it would be going straight back to the seller. European laws would agree with that.

Too bad the situation in US is different.

13. Janus0070

Reputations:
    Since I did that not twice but thrice, I can assure you - the law is not helpful in this case. I could eventually get either my money back or a replacement laptop, but that could take more than a year. I went to the dealer and they took the laptop for servicing. The service replaced the WiFi card. When I discovered that the WiFi still sucks I went back to dealer, they sent it to the service again (authorized, certified, all legally perfect). The laptop returned as "no fault detected" despite the WiFi quality. Now, I can only get my money back if I prove that the product is faulty. To do so I need to get a statement from the service provider. Which says (conveniently for the dealer) that the product is in perfect condition. The next step is to go the State Buyer's Rights Bureau and to inform them about the situation. But the problem is - they need to get independent opinion on this matter, so they have to turn to a Samsung service abroad. Now, Samsung just denies that there is a problem and does so worldwide! So I have 80% chance that the laptop will NOT be considered faulty, I will have to pay for the independent opinion to three experts and all shipping costs and will be left without the device for at the very least one month whilst it is being sent back and forth. Risky, innit? I could then take it to administrative court and try to prove that wireless sucks, BUT again - a connected lawyer could easily state WiFi specifications, produce Samsung certificates, other experts would be needed, tests would have to be conducted..

14. Tazzer

Reputations:
    If I were you I would not let it go. It's not working. You should find somewhere a definition of properly working WIFI - range, signal, etc. for Intel 6230. If one wall stops the signal it's a NOT properly working WIFI, especially as a N generation. I think that the expertise might not be as expensive as you think - just try to go to unauthorized Notebook service and talk to them. They can give you an opinion on the paper. Take two opinions in two different services and go again to seller/samsung.

15. Janus0070

Reputations:
    My problem is not persistence, it is time that I lack. I bought this ultrabook as the lightest, the quickest (at that point) and the most power-efficient replacement for my previous laptop which suffered motherboard failure. I have already spent a month without this fancy toy, whilst it was serviced twice. Apart from the WiFi, Series 9 fulfils all my business needs. It is merely annoying that such company as Samsung fails to recognize its mistakes thus forcing the local dealers and the repair shops to provide unacceptable services to their customers. Currently I am creating a hotspot with my iPhone and focusing on my primary concerns - "holy wars" these days, especially in my country, simply never works.

16. theorbo

Reputations:
    I've attached a picture on the LCD darkness. I bought this at Best Buy and there was a leaflet saying to contact Samsung if any issues. I chatted online with them and their process seemed to be going in the send-it-in method.

Does anyone know if I could take to Best Buy to exchange? It has only been 8 days since I purchased.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

17. Tazzer

Reputations:
    Probably it's always black right? I'm not an expert but it seems like dead pixels, or rather o whole bunch of dead pixels. It should be replaced by bestbuy without any questions.

18. theorbo

Reputations:
    Yes, that is there no matter what.

19. aras87

aras87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guys how are drop down doors holding up so far ? I had a Series 9 back in summer but returned it and bought a Macbook air. MBA has so many quality problems that after exchanging 7 units I'm still not happy. Scratches on a brand new laptop, screen problems, creaking body, buzzing speakers etc. Now that wifi is fixed I may go back to series 9. I'm a little bit worried about that drop down door's reliability tough, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

20. Tazzer

Reputations:
    Don't hesitate - exchange this unit.