Samsung 9 Series laptop (ZX310 / 900X3A) unveiled

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by SoundsGood, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badman89

badman89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, it seems like it would really depend on where one is taking the laptop.

If you show the defect to the design engineer who designed the laptop (or some sufficiently high-up official in Samsung) he might be willing to agree that the series is defective.

But if you take it to your local Samsung service center, they don't have the authority to do that. All they can tell you is that your device is functioning as it is supposed to be. You might be able to show them that the speed decreases as you put the lid on slowly but they can't do anything about it.

2. badman89

Reputations:
    But it's really interesting to note that the reception slows down and speeds up based on the lid being open or closed.

Does this suggest that the defect does not lie in the network adapter?

3. AndroidDeer

AndroidDeer Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are right. I swapped mine to Intel 6230 but speed was unchanged. Removing the back cover I found the speed doubled.

4. badman89

Reputations:
    Wow. This really contradicts most of the information that I gathered from the first 100 pages or so of this thread.

Phil1980 and a bunch of other members all reported increased wifi reception by switching the network adapter to Intel 6300 / 6230 / 6200.

5. AndroidDeer

Reputations:
    Because their laptops are not defective. And that's why I returned mine yet I will try another.

There're also some with good reception (20Mbps) with stock wifi adaptor.

6. badman89

Reputations:
    So, in your laptop, with the back cover removed, is there any difference between the broadcom and intel adapters?

7. AndroidDeer

Reputations:
    Not much difference because both exceeded my data limit (20Mbps down/5 up).

6230 has a good bluetooth range though, with back cover on.

With back cover on, mine couldn't reach 20Mbps 3 feet away from the router. It's always half the speed, occasionally reached 15Mbps. I'd say it's unstable. I don't know why, but I guessed it's to do with how the antena is connected to the body. I'm sure some are doing well in their original state. I saw a perfect sample in store. Speed was 20Mbps on speedtest.net.

8. daveb11

daveb11 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi eSanto,

I've tried that but it makes absolutely no difference on my laptop! Not wishing to be funny but are you sure that works and you're on battery power ?

Try setting your screen brightness to a single bar using Fn+F2 (to minimise battery drain) then set your desktop to a dark image, if it's not already. Then open an application with a large proportion of white window, e.g. Windows Explorer. Don't you see the backlight change when you then minimise and then restore the Explorer window?

Cheers
    Dave

9. becme

becme Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually I wasn't claiming or saying anything; I went in hope of finding out the answer to precisely that question, whether it's a problem with my unit or the Series 9 in general. I hoped to compare to one or several units myself, but still haven't been able to do that. If mine is defective, I'll replace it or get it fixed, but if the notebook just has weak wifi, then it's a matter of deciding whether that's a compromise you can live with it.

I suspect AndroidDeer is correct, that some units are indeed defective owing to a problem with the antenna connections, but that the Series 9 in general has weaker wifi than other notebooks.

fwiw, in today's wifi cafe I was getting consistent speeds of 18 Mbs download and upload, which I'm definitely happy with. But I didn't have anything else to compare it to, and what that means about my particular unit I don't know.

10. jimjoh

jimjoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here I go again. I am sure that the wireless information is going to slow the sales of what I consider a great computer notebook for traveling. So far I have taken wireless connection tests ( using speakeasy speed tests) at my home, public library and senior center the speeds were fine for me. I live in the foothills of Northern Calif. so our speeds are mostly 3mbps so when I read about 15 or 20 mbps it does not apply to us. Because I have found this computer to have most :) all the features I want and also realizing that somewhere when we travel I might have wireless range problems I bought a Alfa wireless adapter with 2 antennas for $30 & boy the range is great. I don't have to change cards or back covers & with my performance I might not ever have to use it. I have read in this thread about this unit being such a costly investment but come on there are lots of notebooks in the $3000 dollar range that I could buy if I wanted to but the features are not to me as appealing as this sammy. Just my 2 cents worth jimjoh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.