Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etang858

etang858 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Need some help installing a Samsung 830 (p/n MZ7PC256HBFU-0BW00) on a Dell M3800

The magician software (4.3) won't recognize my ssd at all. I can run a performance test on it but I cannot access any of the other options. I mainly want to be able to flash the newest firmware onto the SSD. Magician has that option blacked out.

I have an intel chip set, BIOS shows AHCI. I have initialized the ssd, reformatted it and windows is able to recognize the drive.

Also tried uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Some people have reported this allows them to use magician. Didn't work for me.

Tried a much older version of Magician (3.X) on another computer. Still doesn't recognize SSD.

Currently the SSD is hooked up to the laptop using a USB 2.0 to SATA cable connector. Two drives are recognized by windows, the externa SSD and the built in HDD that came with the laptop.

Any thoughts or help is much appreciated.

Thanks

2. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I would assume it needs to be directly connected to the SATA ports for it to be recognized.

Take out all your other drives from your notebook, install the Samsung 830 and either do a minimal Windows 8 install (to simply flash the firmware) or download the bootable ISO from Samsung and then simply run it with the drive installed.

See:
    http://www.samsung.com/global/busin...ungssd/downloads/Samsung_SSD_830_CXM03B1Q.iso

The above link is to the final Samsung 830 firmware bootable ISO form the following page:

See:
    Samsung SSD (Solid State Drive) 840 series | Samsung SSD Website

The only 'trick' is to get the drive out of that USB to SATA cable and into a primary SATA port of the computer you can flash it with.

3. etang858

Reputations:
    Thanks for that reply!

I'm new to all this so I want to make sure I have the steps correct...

1) Download ISO of newest firmware for Samsung 830
    2) Place the ISO onto the Samsung 830 (this iso will the only file on the SSD)
    3) Remove the HDD currently installed and install the SSD in the main SATA port
    4) Boot up the laptop with the Samsung 830 as the only drive installed. The bootable ISO should then update the firmware on the SSD

If that works successfully I would then want to clone my current HDD onto the Samsung SSD. I would just use some cloning software to do this, swap in the newly cloned SSD and since the SSD is in the primary SATA port, I should be able to use magician from this point forward to optimize the drive.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

4. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    No, you need to make that ISO file you download bootable - either burn it to a CD/DVD or make a USB key bootable using something like this:

See:
    Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Then ignoring step 2) above, with the SSD in the system properly on a main SATA channel (your step 3) above), you boot the system with the CD/DVD or USB key you made and it will walk you through updating the firmware.

At this point you can clone the drive after you swap them again; however, I would highly recommend a clean install (Win8.1x64 Pro highly recommended).

Good luck.

5. etang858

Reputations:
    Got it! Thanks for all your help.

I should be able to clone my current HDD to the SSD with the HDD in the main SATA position and the SSD attached via a USB to SATA cable, yes?

Thanks!

6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:

Yes. 10Chars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.