Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEX_SASIN

NEX_SASIN Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Do you guys use the Write-Caching? I wonder if the cache size is using separate storage or its sharing mode. Plus i don't know why i get the funny feel that if using write-cache will somewhat consume more processing on the SSD.

2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Hi.

EDIT : I ran the performance optimization a couple more times and now it`s back to normal, 500MB/s sequential , I wonder why my performance dropped in the first place, i have been leaving my notebook idling so trim and garbage collection can run, but i still got a speed drop?

I have had my 830 256gb for a couple of days and the initial sequential benchmark using the magic tool were approx 500MB/s

Now i am only getting approx 400MB/s even after running the performance optimization , I have 209GB free from a total of 238GB, so it`s not exactly full.

Anybody know what`s wrong.

John.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you're leaving it in Windows, if you didn't know, you might be surprised by how much disk i/o activity is going on while "idle". Try running Process Monitor, for example.

4. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    I have been using process monitor for years, I know their is always background processes going on, i am not that green, idle just means the notebook is not doing a intensive task.

John.

5. ssri

ssri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I noticed flash program operation errors that resulted in bad sectors on my Samsung 830 (2.5 months old; FW: CXM93B1Q). I didn't notice anything in Windows 7 (no BSODs, lockups, etc). I remember one hard lockup caused by a Steam game, but that didn't result in any SMART errors when I checked it out using Crystaldiskinfo then. My SSD has been running well-within the manuf's specs (60C), as the highest I've seen it go is 50C on my Y580. I'll be on the lookout to see if SMART data changes occur. The data below is from Samsung's SSD Magician software. FYI, current values for the bolded are 99, which hopefully means that I still have some way to go before failure.

Model Name SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series
    ID Description Raw
    5 Reallocated Sector Count 4096
    9 Power-on Hours 1542
    12 Power-on Count 264
    177 Wear Leveling Count 12
    179 Used Reserved Block Count (total) 2
    181 Program Fail Count (total) 1
    182 Erase Fail Count (total) 0
    183 Runtime Bad Count (total) 1
    187 Uncorrectable Error Count 0
    190 Airflow Temperature 36
    195 ECC Error Rate 0
    199 CRC Error Count 0
    235 POR Recovery Count 6
    241 Total LBAs Written 1867427921

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I wouldn't be too concerned about a grown bad sector. It will happen over time on SSDs.

FWIW, I have 2 on my over 2 year old Intel X25-M G2.

Attached Files:

7. ssri

ssri Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, I figure that it will take some time before the 10GB I set aside for overprovisioning will be used up.

8. grumpy42

grumpy42 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am seriously considering the 512GB Samsung 830 as the primary drive for a new m6700. The performance and reliability are great, but the power consumption give me pause. I just looked up the power consumption figures for the 750GB HD that is being shipped with the m6700 (It will be my secondary data drive). The HD use 1W at idle and up to 3.5W when active. The Samsung idles at 1.1W and goes as high as 5.8W when active. I have read many reviews that report improved battery life with this drive, which seems unlikely. I suppose, in theory, the SSD is active for shorter periods of time since it is inherently faster.

I am also considering the Intel 520, Crucial M4 and the Plextor M3 Pro. The Plextor seems like the perfect compromise of speed/performance/power consumption (plus the 5 year warranty), but there does not seem to by many reviews of it and it is not widely available (especially the 512GB version). The specs state that the plextor idles at .1W (very good) but uses 5W when active (comparable to the 830).

Any comments, opinions, advice, would be appreciated.

9. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    The M4 512GB would be my first choice and the Samsung 830 my last - specifically because of the high power consumption 'in use' (I don't buy SSD's to let them idle...).

Note that all 480GB Sandforce based SSD are SLOWER than the 240GB versions (including unfortunately, Intel's 520 Series) - this leaves them out of consideration for me.

Crucial is the only high capacity, high performance option for notebooks right now (and it happens to be one of the cheapest too!).

10. grumpy42

grumpy42 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That's true - it must have slipped my mind.

My main concern with the M4 is the spotty track record. Also, I cannot seem to find power consumption figures for the 512gb model (the are likely higher than the 256gb model).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.