Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Source URL?

2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  3. Cableman

Cableman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't have a source, I specifically said that I am new to SSDs and didn't post this just so I can say something controversial. I don't know if that's the case and if it isn't I'll be glad to hear what I should expect from the SSD. I was under the impression that the more you fill up the SSD the slower it gets, I don't know if that's true or whether there is some sort of a cut-off at 50% full. Perhaps asking about the effect of partitions is also basic, but I can't seem to find info on it. Also, there's a lot of info on Linux and SSDs out there, but I don't know how good those tips are. I will appreciate any clarifications and help.

4. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That is a myth. SSDs don't magically slow down when they hit the 50% mark. However, if you keep your SSD over 80% full for a long period of time, you do risk increased wear on the NAND unallocated memory since it will be written over more often. So why does performance take a hit above this? Well you get those fast speeds on benchmarks, only when you're writing to empty cells. Deleted information (ie. recycle bin) only marks the space as free but the data is not erased (hence why you can recover things even when removed from the recycle bin). The downside for data recovery is once you run a complete erase or use garbage collection, it will permanently erase the cell forever. Anyways, back to performance, garbage collection will help clear things up but it requires a minimum amount of free space to perform efficiently. HDDs should similarly not be kept full for long periods of time, but for other reasons that I won't get into here.

5. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This most recent Anandtech reveiw of the OCZ Agility 4 goes over this very topic. This SSD specifically sufferes from performance degradation when filled up to 25%, 50%, 80% & beyond. Please follow the link below & read for yourself.

"Interestingly enough, read speed also degraded when tortured, and restored with idle time. This is not typical for non-SandForce SSDs, we'll have to do some more digging regarding this."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6143/ocz-agility-4-256gb-review/8

I think this affects all SSDs although I am not 100% sure myself. Maybe tiller or someone else can chime in on this subject.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

6. Cableman

Cableman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's exactly what I am worried about (there were a few people here reporting slowdowns too). I read the Anandtech 830 review, but there is no explicit mention of such slowdowns. Degradation at 25% and 50% sounds really bad. If someone can clarify if this is a common issue across all SSDs, that would be great.

Back to my other question, regarding Linux and SSDs, would steps like the ones outlined here be a good idea:

How to maximise SSD performance with Linux

Is anyone here running the 830 in Linux?

7. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well friends let me share few relevant information with you and see yourself who is the best. I hope you like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  9. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    NIGHTMARE,

I don't understand. What are you trying to say by the images? Are you saying that Samsung's 830 is the longest lasting so therefore best SSD available?

10. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well here I explain what I'm trying say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.