Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, no Crucial drive is compared here but I remember reading that some users stated that one drawback of the Samsung 830 is the relatively high power consumption. Though this is only one review, the numbers here look promising and SPCR (to me) has always had fairly reliable numbers:

Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB vs. Samsung 830 Series 128GB | silentpcreview.com

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's important is how it mounts, whether a thinner drive than ~9 mm will fit and connect properly, and whether a thinner drive will move around.

You may have to remove the stock hard drive to figure that out.

The way drives were mounted in my X100e made it irrelevant whether the replacement was the same thickness or thinner than the original.

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    I get my 830 256GB tomorrow :), I have been having problems with bsods when coming out of sleep mode, i currently have an Crucial M4 and an Corsair F60 , both give me bsods, i have done clean installs and it still happens, I have ran memtest86+ for 7 passes, ram error free, who crashes says ntoskrnl.exe causes my crashes.

John.

4. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    Got my 256GB today, 14 sleep resumes and no bsod so far :)

Has anybody in the UK manged to get their £20 cashback, I tried on the Samsung website but it seems messed up.

Scores below are from my Ivy Bridge chipset , Samsung 830 vs Crucial M4

John.

Samsung 830 256GB
    [​IMG]

Crucial M4 128GB
    [​IMG]

5. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can rest easy and forget about sleep/resume/hibernation related bsod now! My 830 nor my 470 have ever given me sleep/resume/hirbernation bsod's. :thumbsup:

6. d0m0

d0m0 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Got my 128gb a few days ago. Very happy with the performance. My laptop only supports Sata2, hence the slower speeds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Cableman

Cableman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am about to pull the trigger on a 256Gb 830. I have a few questions though. I will be dual booting with Windows and Ubuntu (spending 99% of my time in Ubuntu), and I will also have a separate partition for my data. I am new to SSDs so I am not sure how having multiple partitions will affect the longevity/speed of the SSD. I know that having more than 50% of the SSD full slows it down, does this apply to the drive as a whole or within the separate partitions? Also, from what I read the Magician software is quite useful, but I will be using Linux and I was wondering whether there are any settings that I need to enable in Linux for the SSD? Is anyone using the 830 in a Linux environment? Any tips?

8. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    My notebook has dual drive bays, I have my 830 256gb ssd as my boot drive and an 1tb hdd in the other, I moved my virtual memory file to the hdd, and disabled system restore on the ssd, wish i could move it to the HDD, but as far as i can tell you cannot, so now using Acronis 2012 to make an backup to my hdd every two hours after the first complete backup the others are only incremental, files that have changed and it`s only taking 30 seconds to do that.

John.

9. ghoster1

ghoster1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looks good! I couldn't get mine to hit a read speed of 520 MB/s either but it's still plenty fast.

10. deeznutz206

deeznutz206 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just put the 256gb version into my laptop and have been getting consistent low 800 benchmarks. Love this thing.

7892184206_fbd4098aed_z.jpg

7909072128_ab9268f8b3_z.jpg

7909072254_016b897b2f_z.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.