Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    I wish i had bought the 830, I did not here`s my story.

I bought the Crucial M4 128GB , and it`s worked great in a number of notebooks i have tried it in, but for some reason i get a bsod when coming out of sleep mode, when using Intel sata controller, If i use the standard Microsoft one, i get a bsod only now and again, I have the latest firmware, I have an Ivy Bridge Notebook see sig, but my previous notebook was an Ivy Bridge also with the same i7 cpu and it did not bsod, also i am now using an Corsair Force 60GB at the moment and i get no bsods at all.

So i am saving up for an 830 256GB

John.

2. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are some cash back offers from Samsung, have a look at this £130 830 from dabs;
    Samsung 256GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD Basic Kit (MZ-7PC256B/WW) - dabs.com
    Promotions - SAMSUNG UK

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
  4. ellalan

ellalan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My pleasure and Thanks for the Rep.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the notebook kit and the bare/basic drive.

Apparently, I didn't even open the CD envelope on the basic one. In looking quickly at the CD, it appears that the only software you get that's of any use on the basic drive is Samsung SSD Magician. You can download the latest version from their web site anyway. There are manuals on the CD for Norton Ghost, but you don't receive the Ghost software.

(I'm not looking at the CD now) But, the notebook kit also came w/Norton Ghost, which I ended up not using because (IIRC) it was unclear whether it would copy stuff over w/proper alignment and it said that it wouldn't copy over OEM partitions (I wanted my Lenovo stuff to be copied over).

Do keep in mind that the notebook kit is the only version that comes w/a 2.3 mm mounting spacer, if your machine happens to need it.

6. Starrbuck

Starrbuck Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    John, I have the M4 (256GB) in my desktop and an 830 (256GB) in my HP laptop and I clearly prefer the Samsung 830. It screams!

7. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Just bought a 64 GB 830 for my file server, works great!

8. PaoloT87

PaoloT87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for your answer!
    I haven't understood what is the spacer...
    I'll need to mount it in a Dell Precision m6700, I think that it has standard 2.5" bay...will I need the spacer to mount the ssd in my pc?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It depends. You should look at the service manual for your machine and/or look at how the 2.5" drive is mounted.

For my Lenovo T61p, I did need it, because standard 2.5" drives are generally ~9.5 mm thick and the Samsung 830 is ~7 mm thick. In the T61p, the drive goes into these rubber rails and slides in. There's no cable. If I didn't use a spacer, the drive would move around and probably eventually break connectors. One could possibly fashion a spacer out of paper or cardboard.

For my X100e, it didn't need it since it was mounted via a totally different method. It didn't matter that the drive wasn't as thick as the old one.

For some machines (Ultrabooks, I believe), a 7 mm drive is required. Thicker ones won't fit.

10. PaoloT87

PaoloT87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot
    I'll check the dimensions of the 2 drive bay on the dell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.