Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. bennnz2

bennnz2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Realized the error messages I was getting for performance optimization and provisioning in Magician had to do with incompatibility of the app with GPT . That sucks as GPT is not a new tech and I don't want to dumb down my machine to MBR . Anyone knows when Samsung going to sort this ridiculous issue?

What are the alternatives to run TRIM and CG manually oppose to let Win7 does it automatically?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is it ridiculous? What's your reason for using GPT on a SSD? How is it "dumbing down"? About the only reason that most people would want to bother w/GPT is for drives >2 TB, which your SSD isn't.

I bet you dollars to donuts that 90+% of SSDs floating around on Windows machines are not using GPT.

4. bennnz2

bennnz2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There are more to GPT than support 2TB+ drive, all enhanced partitioning and better management of Partition tables plus other features which i am sure you can read about.

When the motherboard manufacturer and Windows offering me the better solution, I don't see why I should bypass it because of a vendor which hasn't done much to provide thorough compatibility. After all it is storage technology and versatility is the key.

GPT is quite typical these days, it is part of Win7 "standard" installation procedure with most current motherboard (EUFI is enabled by default of most mainboards).

when I pay premium for a product I expect to get the premium result. The lack of manual control of TRIM and CG is a big deal and Samsung must address the compatibility issue soon.

People tend to follow the rest like sheep and say why GPT and things like that. the truth is majority lack the comprehensive understanding of what they are talking about. only repeating what they have heard and seen in forums :)

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And, how many partitions do you intend to create on an SSD? How often do you intend "manage" partitions on your SSD? My main machine has a whopping 1 large partition for my 160 gig SSD. The other machines between myself and my parents which have SSDs have a whopping 1-2 partitions.

Seriously, MBR for drives <2 TB has worked fine since for AGES.

As for "Samsung must address the compatibility issue soon", you should call them or create a support ticket w/them. Somehow I doubt this is very high on their priority list compared to other things.

I still don't see a good reason to use GPT on an SSD.

6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Having quickly looked into this again - MBR is what would be the recommended install on current SSD's (less than 2GiB).

The only reason GPT might be considered is the immunity to MBR viruses - but at the expense of breaking a lot of disk utilities and/or backup/imaging programs.

As for performance? I would guess that MBR (plus NTFS) is still the most responsive we can have for Win7x64 systems.

7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Possibly a typo for 2 terabytes? I would suggest using MBR partition tables on SSDs less than 2.2TB, as there aren't too many sub 2GiB SSDs on the market.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Thanks for catching that - yeah, 2TiB. ;)

9. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
  10. PaoloT87

PaoloT87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know that there are 3 version of package for the samsung 830: two with accessories to mount on a desktop and on a notebook, and a basic versione without any accessories.
    But regarding software, I'll find in the basic version the same software included in the other 2 versions?
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.