Samsung 830 SSD

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Tomy B., Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ehosey2

ehosey2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^Hmm....can't say I have heard any high pitched noises, whines, or squeals coming from any of the 3 Samsung SSD's we have installed. Low resonating sounds requiring one to put their ear to the bottom of the notebook in order to hear is perhaps normal but different than the previously described.

2. redmars49

redmars49 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I am not so sure it is the SSD making the high pitch whine anymore after reading these threads: 1 and 2. It's important to note that I've never had this problem with my old hard drive (manufacturer installed HDD) though. Anyways I contacted a Lenovo rep. and was told he had never heard of this problem before and I am currently exchanging emails with Samsung. I will try the solution in thread 1 though I'm not entirely sure our problems are the same. Updates to follow.

3. supertoast92

supertoast92 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I just installed my 512GB 830 in my system today and noticed a high pitch coming from it when installing some software. It was a combination of the SSD and the cpu, but I'm not worried about it -- I've heard these sounds for years with PCs :)

4. ackyash

ackyash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Buddy, I don't know where you are getting the power figures from, but most people can feel that their battery life is improving with the 830 SSD rather than with a spinning HDD.
    Also see power usage on StorageReview.com

Samsung SSD 830 Review (256GB) | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

Those are pretty decent power usage figures.

5. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait for it...

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk

6. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Buddy, I had an 830. How about comparing it to ssd's. Idle consumption is ok, but once you start using it the power consumption is sky high.

In any case there should be a replacement coming out soon with the 830 being so heavily discounted in the last month.

[​IMG]

7. alienowl

alienowl Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when you talk about power consumption, what is the result? Shorter battery life? I can understand that it could lead to higher temperatures, but what else would be a result of higher power consumption?

Thanks

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Battery capacity (Wh) / power consumption (W) = battery life.

9. ehosey2

ehosey2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know as far as battery life is concerned it's a non-issue with my AW190. It's an 18.4 inch sized notebook that stays on the desk 99 percent of the time. As for my Z820, maybe the Samsung 830 isn't the most battery conservative SSD compared to others but I have, subjectively I may add, concluded an increase of around 30 minutes with the Samsung 830 versus the previous 7200 RPM hard drive so at least for me all the pluses of this Samsung far outweigh any negatives that may be perceived or statistically documented.

10. bennnz2

bennnz2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi everyone, great to see a thread about this SSD,

I recently purchased a laptop with support of SATA 3 and got myself a Samsung 830 256GB. Everything works great except the Magician software. I checked all drivers and SSD F/W and all are up to date. But when I start the performance optimization I get this error :
    ****************************************************************************
    21082012/01:52:35:530: UNKNOWN MAGICIANGUI *************************SAMSUNG SSD MAGICIAN STARTED***********************
    21082012/01:53:23:151: ERROR OPTIMIZATION COptInterface::TriggerOpt:1 or more drives not found on Disk S0XZNEAC612973
    21082012/01:53:23:697: ERROR OPTIMIZATION Failed to create file on drive.

And when I run the overprovisioning it says some other service is using the drive. I have not installed any additional software beside drivers . Not optimizer or anything.

I am running win7 64 bit home premium
    and the laptop is Lenovo ideapad Y580
    What could be the issue? Samsung support was not helpful at all.

I appreciate any help :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.