1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Samsung 470 SSD Series Thread

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by 3Fees, May 8, 2011.

1. mobytoby

mobytoby Notebook Evangelist

Looks like SATA 1 mode

2. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

How in the world can it be SATA 1? I'm not disputing your statement, i'm just confused. I will be calling Panasonic today that's for sure! In my BIOS

3. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

In my BIOS all it says is SATA/AHCI. There is no way to change it, it's on the 1st page under the Info section. I'm not disputing you at all, just very confused. I will call Panasonic and ask them. In the specs it does not say anything about it.
    My CPU is a Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo SL9300 @ 1.60GHz
    Penryn 45nm Technology

4. maximinimaus

maximinimaus Notebook Evangelist

Check with a tool like HWiNFO32 what's the speed of your SATA/AHCI connection!

5. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

No doubt toyo that your chipset is on sata 150mb/s mode,,my notebook toggles between sata 150 and sata 300 depending on the sata device,standard intel 4 series chipset, You have an intel chipset , do you have the latest intel inf and irst installed ? My intel chipset raises and lowers voltage for the sata drive after they do the "handshake" and the chipset finds out wether sata 150 or sata 300 is installed...:)

Files mentioned:

inf file is 4/21/2011 9.2.0.1030
    irst file is 12/15/2010 10.1.0.1008

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...® 4 Series Express Chipset Family&ProdId=2991

Check the version of the inf file on panasonic website,,the above one is the latest,,,also from what you mentioned you should be able to choose in the bios sata/achi mode for the drive installed. Latest graphics driver is also in the intel download link, if you need to update this as well.

Heres alink from intel to automatically detect and help update intel graphics drivers and other intel drivers.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphics

Cheers
    3Fees :)

As far as I can tell you have an Intel GS45 chipset,

http://www.buytough.com/tb_30.asp

And Support Sata 300:Read pdf specs,short version is in "product briefs" "mobile intel ect,,gl40,gm45,gs45:support Sata 300 :) The long version is in pdf file :Intel® I/O Controller Hub 9 (ICH9) Family Datasheet ,
    same page :)

http://www.intel.com/Products/Notebook/Chipsets/GS45/GS45-technicaldocuments.htm

6. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

3Fees- I appreciate your time on this, I really do. Last night on the way home from work I installed the HWiNFO32 and read the specs of it all. It did say SATA 3.0.
    You are correct in the specs. I do have the GS45. Panasonic's biggest weakness is driver updating. After they come out with a newer version of a TB they sorta forget about us in regards to the drivers. However, I can call then up an dtell them my laptop is not working right and I will either have a new one or mine back in 3 days and that is after for 5 years. So I don't complain too much. Here is the 2nd headache of it. The Fn Keys that help me quickly adjust the screen brightness, volume, etc. When my screen brightness goes to 1000 I adjust it alot! If I don't install some of Panasonic's driver's in the proper order then the Fn keys will not work correctly. If I manualy adjust the brightness in the Power Plan then it does not stay, it pops right back to where I had it.

I did install the Intel IRST driver in my other Toughbook the other day, and my SSD scores did not change at all. I was doing some reading on Intel's sight and was getting a litle confused. What is with the F6 install? Is that something I must do?

I will go and install the latest Intel stuff right now. I can always go backwards if needed. I'll do some testing and see what happens!

BTW, in my other TB that I am using right now I have the Intel G2 SSD in it. It is alot snappier than the Samsung 470. Plus, it is 1 year older and has less power.

I will play around and show you some tests.

7. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Here is the Crystal run on my Intel SSD. I set the Power Plan to Performance at the Default setting. Which got me thinking about something when I did that. I always will change the CPU min power from 100% to 5% whenever I am running in the Performance Plan. Will that have a huge effect? I hate to put my CPU at always 100%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 251.096 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 84.325 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 196.304 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 88.246 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 16.038 MB/s [ 3915.4 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 26.241 MB/s [ 6406.4 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 156.236 MB/s [ 38143.5 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 82.859 MB/s [ 20229.2 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 38.6% (28.0/72.6 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2011/05/19 7:09:42
    OS : Windows 7 Ultimate Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x86)

8. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

Since you have Sata 300 working,,you should get from Samsung 470 Series,
    (Read-Write Speeds)250Mb/s-220Mb/s,You may want to Contact Samsung technical support and get there input as well as why the speeds are less than 250/220. I have my power plan at "balanced" and it gets near or better than advertised speeds, consistently. The F6 install is for installing Intel raid drivers-when Windows 7 is being installed, no need for concern unless your running raid and have ICH9-r I/O controller hub. I'm not sure why the brightness on your screen varies,,I know on mine it dims because of the power plan being balanced,Windows 7 has features in it to lower voltage to compatible devices when they are not under load-being used after certain time and then powers them up thru power states available for the current load on devices. You can put your power plan up to "High Performance" and run CDM benchmark on the Samsung 470 SSD drive and then put power plan back where you want it, after testing it to see if this results in better scores. I see also your running X86 -32 bit operating system,,I run 64 Bit,,I'm not sure if this has a bearing on the Samsung 470 series scores, probably doesn't.:)

Cheers

9. maximinimaus

Here are my scores for a Samsung 470 128 GB:

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 x64 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
    Crystal Dew World : Crystal Dew World
    * MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 251.246 MB/s
    Sequential Write : 247.073 MB/s
    Random Read 512KB : 190.650 MB/s
    Random Write 512KB : 243.976 MB/s
    Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 16.762 MB/s [ 4092.3 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 49.917 MB/s [ 12186.7 IOPS]
    Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 128.089 MB/s [ 31271.6 IOPS]
    Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 71.266 MB/s [ 17399.0 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 10.3% (12.2/119.2 GB)] (x5)
    Date : 2011/05/19 15:46:12

The read scores are about the same, but the writes differ significant.
    Did you proper align your partitions berfore installing the OS?
    You can check the alignments of them with a small tool I attached.
    Just unzip to a folder and click on "runme". It opens a window where you can see the alignments of your partitions.

10. maximinimaus

You can install Windows 7 on a RAID volume without the F6 option, as Windows 7 contains already an Intel Raid Driver for Intel RAID chipsets.
    It's a version from Intel Matrix Storage(the predecessor of Intel Rapid Storage), so I advice to always update to the newest Intel Rapid Storage driver.

11. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

The file below contains the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.1.0.1008 files for 32-bit operating systems. They can be used to create a floppy in order to pre-install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver during the F6 portion of Windows* setup. The F6 installation method is not required for Microsoft Windows Vista* or Microsoft Windows 7*.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...ng&OSVersion=Windows 7, 32-bit*&DownloadType=

Yes,,I see thats true,yet on first page Intel writes :" Intel® Rapid Storage Technology 10.1.0.1008 files for 32-bit OS - used to preinstall RAID driver (F6 during Windows* setup) OS: Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows....More Windows 7, 32-bit*, Windows Server 2003*, Windows Vista*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP*,, on the second page they say its not required for Vista or Windows 7,,lol,,:),,continuation of the asterick *,,:),,Intel is not known for grammatical correctness,,just chipsets,processors,drivers, ect from value to high end in bulk and retail. :)

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...et Family&ProdId=2991&LineId=1088&FamilyId=40

Cheers

However,,I see what Intel was doing,,since Windows 7 comes preinstalled,some oems may have omitted the file,so they burning the candle at both ends so as to speak for all events,,lol,,:)

12. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Just for kicks, what driver are you showing under Properties on the 470? Just curious. I will run some tests with tweaking of the Power plans in a little while. Gotta get some work done first. :mad:

13. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Thanks for that alignment tool! That's pretty neat. I am all aligned:) Even my IronKey USB Drive is!

14. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

Under properties in Device Manager - Disk Drive ,
    its Microsoft 6.1.7600.16385 ,write caching is enabled under policies
    Under Properties in Device Manager-IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    its Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller 10.1.2.1004

To check alignment on your SSD Click windows orb,type "System Information",expand components-then storage-highlight disks-20th entry-first group-Partition Starting Offset 1,048,576 bytes-your aligned.

Windows 7 Automatically aligns SSD's,,:)

Cheers

15. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Thanks for the info. Mine has the same MS driver. With the Controller being
    Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller
    It used to say Intel? Now I gotta look into that......

16. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Ok, I just updated to the latest .inf from Intel. Now it says
    Intel(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller - 2929

So, before I do anything else is there anything else I should do or verify?

17. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Here is my latest Crystal Run. My Power Plam is set to Performance Defaut.

Attached Files:

18. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

Look here same problem then solved...

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Intel RST causing SSD to drop to 1.5 Gb/s (SATA I)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a fresh install of the OS and only installing a couple of patches from WU, I tried Crystal Mark, the sequential read is about 220 and the write is about 215 or so.

After installing drivers and applications (drive is probably around 50% full). I ran CrystalMark again, but this time, I am averaging around 133MB/s for both read/write.

Upon looking futher into the issue, it seems like that after installing Intel RST, the driver drops me into 1.5 Gbps mode for the SSD.

Is this just a matter of unsupported hardware by the RST? -- I am currently running a Samsung 470 SSD 256GB on Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E SATA RAID Controller (single drive).

Currently reverted back to 8.6.2.1012 (windows default driver), but I've also tried the 9.6 version, performance was identical to 10.1.0.1008.

Benchmark shown here:
    The red bars are 8.6.2.1012 while the blue is 10.1.0.1008

Now I am caught wondering if this is an issue with just Intel RST or the SSD or even the laptop BIOS itself.

Can anyone provide any futher insight into the matter?

Thanks.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

After wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much formatting/reinstalling. Uninstalling storage drivers, etc etc. I've finally figured out why it was dropping me to 1.5 Gbps -- seems like that the RST drivers when installed on a laptop it enables a feature to 'power save' -- Link Power Management (LPM)

The fix was to change in the registry
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Par ameters\Port0 (corrosponding port that you are having the problem with. Change the LPM DWORD value to 0, and it'll disable the LPM and put it back into 3.0 Gbps intead of 1.5 Gbps.

Posted for posterity's sake in case anyone ever have this same issue.

Caused me over 24 hours of grief.

Intel RST causing SSD to drop to 1.5 Gb/s (SATA I) - [H]ard|Forum

Call Panasonic and or Samsung Technical support and have them walk you thru this or similar registry repair,then post them results,,,:)

It now looks like a registry repair to the power function will toggle Sata II up from Sata I and will get you up and running at Sata(II), 3Gb/s . Makes sense as when Sata II device "handshakes" with ICH9-ect power increases from Sata I to Sata II,some registry entry is preventing this handshake from being realized.
    Same principle as two modems talking to each other and then agree on send/recieve speed-Handshaking on it ,,:),,chipset-drive-driver-bios- problems are logical as well. Here the Handshake is about sata I and sata II power and both agreeing on it,,something has caused the handshake to agree to Sata I,,instead of Sata II-the correct agreement and handshake on it.,,,:)

Cheers

19. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Awesome, maybe you are onto something. I know how to edit my registry, just not too sure I have the string correct. Here is a snap shot of mine at the spot you mentioned. I am not sure which one would be the proper Dword.

Attached Files:

20. 3Fees

3Fees Notebook Deity

Those are exactly the same registry entries I have,except* see my next post,, run atto benchmark,,some people have complained about crystal bench mark scores, then running atto,,everything was fine..download-extract-run,que depth 4 is fine,scores change as que depth varies,:),,at a set que depth-your scores will be lower to highest and then lower as the "stripe size-transfer size" is increased...atto is used to configure raid stripe size for highest performance,,however works perfectly well with non-raided drives..:),,write down and post the stripe size for a few tests and the corresponding write/read.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1749/ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_v2.46.html

My Best with atto246: que depth 4--run program as it first loads to benchmark your samsung 470 256 Gb.

transfer write read
    size

256.0 187122 268789

If scores are okay,,your done,,if not then panasonic or samsung needs to address it. Atto is a trusted utility and will get technical supports attention,,tell them your scores if not okay,,,:),,You deserve to have advertised speeds,,dont settle for less..:),,I would give Samsung a call first,,,,:),,they can determine the ssd's health status,,:)

Cheers