Samsung 2012 Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z3, NP700Z4 & NP700Z5 series) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Mine shows that too. I don't think Samsung has a driver for it as such -- but you can adjust the Display Color profile in [Easy] Settings.

2. Miguel86

Miguel86 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I created the USB Admin Tool flash drive.

I created the recovery partition, re-writiting the old recovery partition, now I have recovery, windows does not boot, and the recovery does not find the image partition :eek:.

I am now restoring the disk with the disk image I have (that has all the partitions intact, but the recovery does not boot), and will try again (this time, I will only try the "MBR Fix" option).

Below are the available options that Admin Tool gives.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit: MBR Fix did not resolve, now Windows does not boot.

Any sugestions :) ?

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Thank you for the update. I was wondering how you were doing and actually looking for it this pm while my friend and wife were out. Of course now they're back, so this will have to be a fast one. Again :eek:

Good job getting hold of that USB Admin Tool and using it. What you're describing sounds as I would expect.

You cannot restore that disk/partition image, it will break the Recovery and F4 that you just made with the USB Admin Tool. You have to make a backup of the file and folder contents from the original Recovery Partitions (both the small one at the beginning of the drive and the large one at the end) then restore those file and folder contents to the new partitions created with USB Admin Tool.

There are several ways to copy files and folders from and to those hidden partitions, all described in the post you linked originally.

A) You can unhide a Recovery Partition using DISKPART from an Admin Command Prompt (SET ID=07 OVERRIDE) then add a drive letter (in DISKPART or Windows Disk Management). Make sure you show hidden and system files before you copy. Change back to hidden Recovery with SET ID=27 OVERRIDE.

(B) You can boot Windows Setup and open a Command Prompt there (Shift-F10) where the Recovery Partitions are readily visible. Then copy their contents with XCOPY /E /H (to make sure it copies subfolders and hidden files).

Keep track of which files you backup from which Recovery Partition (the small and the big). Also take note of the size of those Recovery Partitions. Now use USB Admin Tool to re-partition with new Recovery Partitions of the same size. Then restore the file and folder contents using the same procedure you used to backup (but in reverse of course).

Dinner is waiting... I'll check back tomorrow. I hope this gets you a little further. You've come a long way :)

4. Nausicaaa

Nausicaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks. I was afraid that it was missing a driver causing me to lose power.

My model is a NP700Z5B-S01UB, (15.6 900p i7 8GB, 1TB with 8GB SDD).
    I think mine may be drawing too much power. When I got it and all the bloatware was installed it reported that it could go to 7hrs or so. Now that I did a clean boot and installed the new BIOS, it gets around 5 hours. Is there something I can do? My power draw is usually around 20W, which I'm not sure if its high.
    If anyone cares to find their own draw, you can use HWiNFO64 Download
    or BatteryBar Pro: Windows Battery Life Tracker

I tried it on a Windows 8 partition and it shows the same, so I assume it might be a BIOS problem or bad reporting?

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @Nausicaaa: You can also watch power consumption on the Power Management tab in [Easy] Settings.

At lowest LCD brightness my NP700Z3A idles around 9.3-10.5W and oscillates between 12-16W while writing this post with LCD turned up a few notches. That's Win8.

Disabling Flash can save quite a bit of power. Also, stick to the default Samsung Optimized power profile (but tweak its Wireless Adapter Settings and Max processor state)

Use Task Manager (sorted by CPU) to get an idea of which tasks are keeping the CPU busy. If your CPU is running harder without you having installed new software, it's possible a virus or other malware is churning in the background. Just a thought...

6. Nausicaaa

Nausicaaa Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. I didn't think to look at that. What do you mean by disabling flash? The SSD?
    I use the Samsung Optimized but I thought I could somehow get it lower.

I'd like to disable the ATI, but I don't think I can besides setting the GPU settings it always save power....

7. Miguel86

Reputations:
    Dannemand, if you have the time, could you do a step by step of what you wanted me to do (including step by step of what to do when using the Admin flash drive, with the help the images I posted above) ?

I am asking this because I have spent hours trying to make this work, and now even when restoring the disk image, Windows does not even boot.
    I used the Admin flash drive, I select "Install Recovery Area", and when I restart, it does not also boot (I even used Parted Magic to see the content of the hidden partitions) !

I don't understand how before it worked, and now it doesn't.
    I did the same steps as before!
    I tried installing recovery, does not work, tried after that, fixing MBR , it still does not work.
    It does not make sense.

I had both things (restoring the disk image, making Windows work again, and installing the Recovery) working seperatly, and I don't know what I am doing wrong, for nothing to be working now.
    Maybe I am just tired :(.
    I know it would be easy just to format it, but I want this to be like it came when it was new!

This were the steps I did.

1-Restoring disk image
    2- Copying the content of Windows tools, Windows, Recover , and Recover_2 partitions. ( I don't know how many partitions the W7 installations had, but W8 has 6 partitions)

[​IMG]
    3-Installing the Admin partition
    4-Pasting the content of step 2 (except the partion where the recovery was written).

edit: I tried selecting "instal recovery"+ "install windows" to see if it would install recovery and windows...In the end, it installed windows, but no recovery again :(

8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Yes, I'll write some steps for you. Let me get breakfast and run a fast errand, then I'll get to it. Might take a while to write up.

Sit tight, we'll get it working :)

Update: That screen from Admin Tool you posted, is that the main opening screen? If there are any more screens, could you post them for me? I ask because it is very different from my SRS5 Admin Tool, and it will help me post the right steps for you.

Update2: Reading your last post again; it is very likely that the only problem is Step 4 where you avoid pasting (restoring) the contents of your recovery. That is exactly the one you SHOULD restore. We want to overwrite the contents of the Recovery Partitions created by the Admin Tool with the contents from your backed up Recovery Partitions.

Update3: While you're at it, could you also post pictures of your BIOS screen with the UEFI settings? Sorry about all these requests, but I want to make sure I understand what is going on.

9. Miguel86

Reputations:
    No problem, I will do that :) .

I will try, but to be honest, I lost hope.

I still cannot understand how before restoring the disk image would boot windows, and now it doesn't, and how how the recovery was installed properly the first time, and now it does not boot.

One strange thing is, that the recovery is installed, because yesterday when I was getting to install W8 using the DVD, it booted 2 times to the recovery, one interesting thing, was that it still had the flash drive with Admin tool plugged in..

One time I still did not have the REC2 files, so I put the files there.
    The second (and last time I was able to boot it), I had the files in there (I did an integrity test in SRS6), it said the install space was too small (I think, it only saw 40GB...).

Other strange thing is that I tried to install the windows programm, and it does not install, because it says that the recovery partition, has a newer version that the one I am trying to install, but both are version 6.0.6.5 .

Give me 30min max, and I will take the pictures :) .

Again, thanks for trying to help:)

edit:

Here is the UEFI option
    [​IMG]
    And here is the SRS menu, now with the HD selected (the rest is the same as above).
    And yes, I only have that windows (and those options).

[​IMG]

:)

10. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @Miguel86: I think the MBR Fix you did caused the problem. Your disk doesn't use MBR, but the newer GPT partition layout. I realize one of my old posts mention it, but it was targeting SRS5 and Win7-delivered PCs. I should have warned you about that.

Also, you just reminded me of a trick with the USB Admin Tool which I had forgotten: If you have an intact Recovery Partition, booting USB Admin Tool from a USB3 port (blue) will actually cause it to boot the Recovery itself (at least on SRS5). Then from there, you can choose the Complete Restore function (what it's called in SRS5) to re-create your Windows partition and restore the Windows Factory image. HOWEVER, this will not solve the problem of missing F4.

In order to use USB Admin Tool you must boot it from a USB2 port (black).

I don't know how much damage MBR Fix may have caused (if any). We'll find out as we proceed.

Note: I assume you are fully prepared that whatever data and programs you have on the disk will be lost by what we are doing here. I also assume that you still have that original disk image where you backed up all partitions on the disk, so that we can restore that.

Does your imaging software allow you to copy individual files and folders from the backed up image, or can you only restore entire partitions (or even entire disks)?

Edit: Saw your images, very useful, thank you. Give me a little time to think and I'll post a suggested procedure.

Oh, and I am sure we'll get this working -- though I understand it's getting tiring for you. Hang in there :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.