Samsung 2012 Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z3, NP700Z4 & NP700Z5 series) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    John already beat me to it, but here is a more detailed description of how to re-create the Recovery Partition. (Sorry if I add too much detail, I am trying to make it useful for others as well):

1) Make sure you have a SRS5 Admin Tool USB drive, which you had to create in Management Mode while your original Recovery was still working: [CTRL]+[ALT]+[F10], password: secclx (SECCLX). Sounds like you have this already.

2a) Make sure you have a file/folder backup of the contents of your original Recovery Partition. I prefer to use PartEd Magic LiveCD for this (free download), but you can also use DISKPART in Win7 to change the ID from 27 (Hidden Recovery type) to 07 (standard NTFS) then add a drive letter in Disk Manager. Change it back after completing backup. Ask if you need details.

You can even boot your Windows Setup DVD (or USB), open Command Prompt (Shift-F10) and use XCOPY /E to copy the files and folders from the Recovery Partition to a flash drive or memory card.

This is the contents of the Recovery Partition on my NP700Z3A:

Recovery Partition Files.gif

2b) Alternatively (and at the very least) use SRS to backup the Inital Image (Samsung factory installation) to a 16GB or larger USB flash drive (external HDD won't work).

2c) Restoring a partition image backup (Acronis, Terabyte, WIM etc) may work for you, but I could never get F4 working this way.

3) In BIOS, enable USB Legacy Boot, disable UEFI, disable Fast BIOS Boot (if you have that).

4) Boot the SRS USB Admin Tool from a USB2 port (booting from a blue USB3 port will load the Recovery partition, NOT the USB Admin Tool). I prefer to hit ESC immediately after power on and select my boot device (F10 on some models). Or you can set Boot Priority in BIOS.

5) Once SRS Admin Tool is loaded, the best approach if your disk is messed up is to use STEP 1: Disk Partitioning, but all partitions on your disk will be wiped. Alternatively use STEP 2: Initial Recovery Area, which will only wipe your Recovery partition -- but may not work if you re-partitioned your disk previously. Hit Execute for either one of these options.

If you use STEP 2 you get another chance to re-partition the disk (which of course will wipe it) and select a size of the Recovery Partition. Or just click Next. The recovery partition on my Sammy is 22.5GB, but the closest I can select in SRS is 23GB.

This will re-create a blank Recovery Partition with the necessary boot files and F4 enabled.

6) If you made a backup of your Initial Image to a USB flash drive, you now have the option to restore this image. You may have to swap out the USB Admin Tool flash drive if you only have one USB2 port. USB3 will not work here, neither will external hard drives.

7) Close USB Admin Tool by clicking the close window [X] which reboots the PC.

You should now be able to boot F4 and restore the Samsung factory installation.

If you CANNOT boot F4, try booting the USB Admin Tool again and use the Fix MBR function -- but I would only do this if I didn't have any valuable partitions or data on the disk.

8) If you have a full file/folder backup of the original Recovery Partition, you will need to copy them back to the re-created partition. Once again, PartEd Magic LiveCD makes this a snap. Otherwise you will have to install Windows and use DISKPART to make the partition visible; or run XCOPY from the Command Prompt in Windows Setup.

In addition to the Initial Image (which you may have restored already, the .wcl, .woo etc files) you will want to restore the SystemSoftware folder. It allows Easy Software Manager to install all drivers, utilities and Windows patches after a clean Installer -- even without a network connection.

Let me know if that works for you.

Edit: I though that quote in John's post sounded familiar :D It's from this post in the 14" Samsung Series 7 NP700Z3C thread.

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You are evidently the expert in this subject. :) My apologies for not crediting you for the info I posted but I had saved the basic instructions in a text file without recording the source.

John

3. Dannemand

Reputations:
    LOL :D

It happens to me all the time: I know the answer to a question and want to credit whoever posted it originally, but it will take a long time to find that post -- and just 3 mins to post the answer.

No problem, none whatsoever!

4. SimianJones

SimianJones Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! The issue seems to have been trying to install it via a USB key vs. DVD. Once I burned it onto a DVD it installed without a problem.

Next question, did you also install the Windows 8 "SW Update" app from the Samsung website? I installed it but every time I try to run it I get the same message, "An unknown error has occurred. Please try again later.(-1)".

5. boysangur

boysangur Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone else's screen look like this?

photo.jpg

It looks great most of the time and even blacks look completely black but when something is loading, there is this spottiness to it. I noticed that I can actually see it while playing some games, it's a subtle shadow on the right side that gets more noticable for some colors. Is this something to contact Samsung about or am I overreacting?

6. Terran1212

Terran1212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just checked, best buy will be carrying their edition starting Friday.

7. Gargy

Gargy Newbie

Reputations:
    wow! Thanks so much for the comprehensive info! I really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I didn't get any original image info from the original drive, only my backup copies of mostly virgin setup (and all I get from it now are CRC errors when I try to read it with most anything to attempt recovery). But I did get a copy downloaded of admin tools...the bad thing about it is it's not exactly my model apparently, as it doesn't take the 8gb SSD disk 1 that is part of the hard drive. That is what is giving me headaches. I managed to setup a recovery partition onto it, but it won't allow my 40gb backup image, obviously.

My next attempt is going to be to see if I can alter the boot.wim to select the appropriate disk/partition, as I did notice where those settings were in the admin tools environment....nothing like a challenge, right? LOL

8. Dannemand

Reputations:
    Thank you for the feedback :)

If you have a file & folder copy of the "almost virgin" Recovery Partition, there is a good chance of re-creating it.

BUT when you say you downloaded SRS Admin Tool, I suspect it is the ISO of the AdminTool for SRS5 CD that's floating out there. I tried that one too and was never able to re-create a Recovery Partition with it and make it F4 bootable. Maybe I didn't try hard enough...

The USB Admin Tool I am talking about is created directly on a USB flash drive using SRS Management Mode on your own PC. It's a few hundred MB, including all the software necessary to create a new Recovery Partition.

Now, if indeed the Admin Tool you have is that downloaded AdminTool for SRS5 CD, I cannot give you details, but here is what you are looking for:

1) Find a way in that AdminTool to re-partition your HDD and create a Recovery Partition in the process, making it large enough to accommodate the backup you have. The key here is to be able to boot that Recovery, preferably with F4. That is the tricky part. (Unfortunately, making the partition Active is not enough).

2) Copy all files and folders from your Recovery backup to the newly created Recovery partition, overwriting everything (to get the correct version). I hope you backed up everything, not just the .woo, .wcl etc files.

Again, I highly recommend downloading PartEd Magic and making yourself a LiveCD. You don't have to know ANYTHING about Linux to use it, and it allows you to make partition changes and manage files and folders, including copying to/from external drives.

3) If your newly created Recovery is F4 bootable and has the original Recovery files & folders on it, you're done! You can just go ahead and restore the Samsung factory installation. Do yourself a favor and create a USB AdminTool flash drive this time in case you ever need it.

4) If your new Recovery is NOT F4 bootable (but contains the files & folders from your original Recovery), you can use Grub4DOS to "force boot" it. I tried that earlier this summer, and below are the notes I wrote for myself: (I got the idea from another post, and now I am the one unable to give proper credit, because I don't know which post and which forum :eek: )

Once you're booted in Recovery, go to Management Mode (CTRL-ALT-F10, password secclx) and create a USB AdminTool flash drive. Now can can boot that USB AdminTool and use it to re-partition (again) and thus create a Recovery with the correct version that's F4 bootable.

Of course the question is whether it's worth all the trouble to get that Recovery back. You could just clean install Windows and be done with it. Lots of people delete their Recovery Partition anyway. But if you want to sell the PC, I can see it would be nice to deliver it in factory state.

Let me know how it goes for you.

9. Xenon787

Xenon787 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the 15inch Chronos and it runs cool as a kitten for all but the most intense games. Even then, the keys only get pleasantly warm, even after playing for 2+ hours

10. Terran1212

Terran1212 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome. Planning to grab the win 8 model at best buy due to price (although I guess after today the win 7 model just got wiped out : p )

Hopefully W8 won't be too traumatizing..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.