Samsung 2012 Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z3, NP700Z4 & NP700Z5 series) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteamyG

SteamyG Newbie

Reputations:
  2. CryCLL

CryCLL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the responses!

This laptop model is #1 on my list for my graduation present :D

3. shinyshiny

shinyshiny Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks, I'm looking at getting either a model NP700Z5A-S09US or NP700Z5A-S0AUS this week to replace my aging and dysfunctional Thinkpad. I've been following this thread and others, and hope that those of you that already have been using this machine can help with the following questions:
    1. What is your impression of the overall build quality? And in particular, at least one review (notebookcheck) has raised doubts about the sturdiness of the lid, and alleged that it can be warped even under mild pressure. Would be interested to hear other opinions.
    2. Are most of the air intake and outlet vents on the sides? I often tend to use laptops on fabric (couch or bed), and although this has never been a problem with my thinkpad (vents on side), I'd be curious about how the NP700Z5A could handle this.

Thanks for all comments! :D

4. pudding

pudding Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I seem to be having a problem with my Series 7 Chronos and Sleep mode. I just got my Series 7 NP700Z5A-SOA yesterday, and the laptop goes into Sleep mode just fine, but it doesn't seem to want to wake up properly. When I press the On button or open the lid (from Sleep mode) the power light will come one for a second and I can hear a fan start to spin, but after a second the laptop immediately turns off. I have to hit the power button a second time for the laptop to start up properly, at which point I get the "windows did not shut down properly" screen, and proceed with the rest of the start up.

I have Google'd this issue but came up with nothing. Coincidentally I upgraded from Windows Home Premium to Windows Professional this morning to run CAD programs like Solidworks, so I am wondering if the upgrade could have caused an error somewhere? Possibly with the ExpressCache? Any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would look for clues in Event Viewer's System Log.

My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System.

Does hibernation / resume work OK?

John

6. pudding

pudding Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello John and thank you for the reply,

Hibernation / resume works fine. It is only Sleep mode that isn't functioning properly. What exactly should I be looking for in this Event Viewer's System Log?

7. Tazzer

Tazzer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I posted my question in different place but it was a mistake, so I put it here:)

Which model should I choose:

1. NP700Z5A-S0AUS from TigerDirect for 1150$ + tax or
    2. NP700Z5A-S03US from J&R for 1250$ + no tax

Booth have the same i7 -2675QM processor and the same radeon 6750m.

1. has 1TB Hard Drive 5400 rpm
    2. has 750GB Hard Drive 7200 rpm

1. Intel WIfi with WIDI
    2. Probably weak Brodacom wifi without WIDI

If there are no more differences probably no 2. is better because it's cheaper to replace wifi card than Hard Drive - what do you think? Are there any other NP700Z5 which are also reasonable?

Thanks.

8. yknyong1

yknyong1 Radiance with Radeon

Reputations:
    NP700Z5A-S0AUS - take this if same price.
    1TB HDD speed is covered some by ExpressCache 8GB.
    Intel wifi. Newer model.

It is cheaper by $100, but no idea about your tax amount.

Take the cheapest one after tax as performance does not differ by much.

9. mqavila

mqavila Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @Tazzer - FYI: I called J&R and was able to haggle down the price of the S03US to US$1,175 shipped, no tax. I had ordered it at a time when TigerDirect's S0AUS was out of stock. Then, while waiting for my laptop to ship out, TigerDirect had new stock. I called J&R to cancel unless they could apply their Price Match Policy on my laptop. They said they couldn't since the laptops were not the same but they eventually offered to bring it down to US$1,175. I ended up agreeing.

Although to be honest, I didn't know about the differences in wifi card in the two models at the time of order. I was focused more on the HDD speed. If I had known about the better wifi on the S0AUS, that might have swayed me to TigerDirect.

10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Look for error messages at the time the computer is put to sleep and possibly when it tries to wake up.

Sleep has always been more problematic than hibernation. The latter involves explicitly stopping a lot of services and then restarting them, which is more reliable that sleep which justs suspends them and hopes they wake up again. The graphics used to be one of the trouble-spots.

Make sure that you have the BIOS and drivers up to date and then work through Google's list of "Windows 7 sleep mode problem".

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.