Samsung 2012 Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z3, NP700Z4 & NP700Z5 series) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Good to know that this works! I just tried it successfully myself, but with Lenovo's version 1.3.110 on Windows 7. Why, you ask, would I need this on Windows 7? Well, I've been suffering from not being able to safely remove external USB drives for the longest time due to a bug in ExpressCache 1.0.94.0. I discovered this by trial and error, and eventually confirmed it based on a readme file of ExpressCache build 100 (possibly version 1.0.100.0) that I found online, in which they stated that they'd fixed this issue -- but since Samsung didn't release this, I never knew how to work around the license issue to install an updated copy from elsewhere.

So, I resorted to always stopping the ExpressCache service before being able to safely remove external drives, which was a PITA. I actually created batch files on the desktop to automate this a bit, but it was still very annoying!

Today when I read this, I actually already had a copy of Lenovo's version 1.3.110 from back when I'd looked into this, which, according to its readme still supports Windows 7, and I've tested it and it works and fixes the problem.

I wonder, though, if 1.3.118 will also work properly on Windows 7? The readme only explicitly says Windows 10.

2. bodosko

bodosko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys. I'll have to revive this thread.

I have here with me an old 700z4a with overheating and graphic problems. I have to make this laptop stable and usable again.
    I'm on Windows 7 with latest BIOS 15FD and latest drivers from Samsung site and Samsung Update software.

1. CPU and GPU temps are around 65C while idle and 90-95C while gaming, if the game is too heavy, temps go even higher.
    This is very concerning because I just reapplied IC Diamond paste. I also noticed the fan appears to never reach 100%, even on temps as high as that. Is there some way to set the fan to 100% or to change the fan speed table on this laptop?
    I'm also considering to reapply "again" the IC Diamond.

2. The graphic problem appears randomly when using graphics cards, the screen just goes black, it completely freezes and the fan speed go to MAX (that's when I noticed the fan speed weren't at 100% while gaming). When this happens I have to force shutdown holding the power button.

3. Also randomly and normally after #2 has happened, the laptop doesn't boot to Windows, it freezes on Starting Windows screen. After some force shutdown tries it boots again as if nothing has happened. Very weird.
    I'm guessing its these broken drivers. I'm currently using Samsung 8.951.9.3000 graphic drivers.
    Which is the best stable drivers for this laptop?

I just trying to make this 100% stable.
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you overclock the video card? The problem if you do is the GPU or memory may not be able to take the overclock and is locking up. The GPUand/or memory speed if overclocked may not reset to factory defaults until a poer down or hard reset and this then may cause the reboot issue.

4. bodosko

bodosko Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never even thought of overclocking this poor little card.

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If GPU is getting to 90-95c then something is up. At default speeds the GPU should not be running that hot.

6. schmendrik

schmendrik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi guys,
    need to replace a key (top plastic) on my NP700Z5.
    How do i do it best without damaging the click mechanism?
    Is there a guide somewhere and which keys of other models are compatible so i can search for one on ebay?
    Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.