Samsung 2012 Series 7 Chronos (NP700Z3, NP700Z4 & NP700Z5 series) Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by yknyong1, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. engwee

engwee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will take some time next weekend, quite busy during the week. It's a shame they haven't released a newer BIOS or just let you redo the last update without restriciton, who knows..
    In any case, thanks again.

2. fullyZ

fullyZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Am i safe to install ubuntu on my np700z5c-s03 ? if so should i install it after windows? in UEFI or Legacy Mode? Will i loose the recovery if i install linux after? Do i have to modify grub?

A guide would be amazing though..

Thank you,

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Google for "site:forum.notebookreview.com/Samsung Linux" and you will find various relevant posts such as this.

My impression from following the forum is that the bricking issues have largely disappeared. If your Z5C came with Windows 7 and without UEFI enabled then it will be advisible to keep UEFI disabled.

Installing Linux will only affect the Samsung Recovery if the recovery partition is moved. It appears that the BIOS stores a link to the absolute address of the recovery partition.

John

4. fullyZ

fullyZ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have win8 and UEFI i believe.. that post is one year old... i heard that both samsung and ubuntu developers increased compatibility in the meantime..

5. bluedr49on

bluedr49on Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you know if Samsung is planning on supporting these for W10?

Or will W8 drivers work with W10?

Thank you!

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Has Microsoft put a "Get Windows 10" notification on your computer? This, I presume is an indication that Microsoft think it will work and perhaps has put more effort into ensuring compatibility with Windows 7 machines they they did with Windows 8. I very much doubt that Samsung will create new drivers for machines shipped with Windows 7 or Windows 8.

I may try Windows 10 on one of my 3 year old Windows 9 machines, but only after making a full backup (including a complete image of the SSD) so that I can easily restore the machine to Windows 7 if I find that Windows 10 is a step backwards.

John

bluedr49on likes this.
  7. bluedr49on

bluedr49on Newbie

Reputations:
    They did create W8 drivers for W7 laptops, but i'm guessing because it was so close after these came out. I do have the Get Windows 10 notifications, but i think almost all stations are getting the notifications. I hope samsung comes through, but who knows. I will take your advice on backing up the whole drive before doing anything. Thanks John.

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Samsung seem to provide limited support for one generation of Windows after whatever was supplied. However, Windows 8 (in particular UEFI) created serious backwards compatibility problems. If you try Windows 10 then I recommend that you do not change the UEFI settings on the computer from whatever it was supplied with.

John

9. bluedr49on

bluedr49on Newbie

Reputations:
    Will do. Thanks John.

10. jhol

jhol Newbie

Reputations:
    ive installed W10 and everything seems to be right except the express cache ssd. My model is not supported by samsung (Serie7) so no way to install ec version ExpressCache_1.0.94.0_64bit.
    Anyway I founded a version compatible with w10 through a Lenovo model but after installing i got this message "Product is not licensed to run on this system".
    Then i Google and seems something related to the ec.lmf file.
    Could someone post it just to try if it works?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.