Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You might know what you mean but does that also indicate that everyone else reading the thread does.?

John

2. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Finally tried updating the BIOS, and UEFI stays broken. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it crashes with a Machine Error log message, sometimes it crashes even before getting into the bootloader. Is there any place where I can report this to Samsung? It would be great to have a working UEFI environment.

3. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The term hard drive (HD) came from the early PC days and meant a drive that wasn't a floppy disk. Rotational disk hasn't really ever been a common term used by the general public. HD is a layman's term for the storage device in a PC and frankly many people simply don't know the different between a solid state device, and a device that has spinning platters. Usually the general public is oblivious to those distinctions and their eyes glaze over when you start talking about RPM, much less SSD and whether they are SATA II or SATA III. So I think HD was ok in this forum and context.

I knew what he meant. But by the same token I'm pretty sure John meant no malice.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    You will have to raise the problem with Samsung support in your country and hope that they pass the message on.

John

5. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Tha surely sounds like a major pain in the back. I'll see what I can do, though I highly doubt that the support center of Samsung Italy even know what UEFI is (by the way, I believe this applies to any vendor I can think of). I'll probably have to escalate such a generic problem through layers and layers of call-center technicians before anyone even understands the meaning of it.

6. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You should do it anyway and document the number of calls and amount of time it takes. Support is a key aspect of the lifecycle of a product. It isn't enough to make a beautiful product. It actually needs to work for the life of the investment. For most of us, that is at least three years. Therefore, I am very interested in how they handle this issue for you.

7. kingofthebraves

kingofthebraves Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just got my X4D last week for $1488 here in the Philippines this has the same specs as the one in the US 256 ssd 1.9ghz ivy bridge 8gb ram and it is just unbelievably light and fast! Screen is a little too bright for me and viewing angles arent that nice but I can probably live with that.

The only annoying thing about this is the wifi! It is definitely inferior to my old 2007 macbook and 2009 mbp, there are some areas where I'm getting nothing and others where I am having trouble connecting. Changing power management to High performance definitely helps but it still lacks the range and stability of my previous notebooks. I tried out a Series 7 17 incher before as well and it had the exact same issues. Samsung really has to step up on this problem.

8. ironm5536

ironm5536 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear about your speaker problem, I hope you can resolve it. I'm thinking about getting the same model at the MS store nearby, what are your overall opinions of it (is the fan too lound, how is ssd performance, screen, etc.)?

9. eric_093

eric_093 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

the power brick of my 900x4c makes a whining noise, when the battery is fully loaded.
    A long as it is loading the battery it is quiet, but when 100% (res. 80 % with battery life extender) is reached, it starts whining. Not too loud, but you can hear it quite well it in a silent room.

Do all of the 900x4c power bricks make the same noises or is it just mine ?

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I think my PSUs are quiet (or maybe my ears are too old to notice the whine). I suspect that a components is oscillating under some loading conditions (similar to the CPU whine that troubles some notebooks). If the sound is annoying you then I suggest you approach Samsung support regarding a replacement.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.