Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would certainly test a 32 bit install after you have made the recovery and software DVD's so you can restore the machine back to it's original state.

By running the 32 bit OS on the native hardware you can only use 3GB of RAM so it isn't the smartest long term configuration choice. This is why I would recommend the virtualization route. I don't think you are going to give up that much performance and it will be infinitely more flexible.

2. pseudonym58

pseudonym58 Newbie

Reputations:
    I see. 3 GB RAM might be a comparable performance hit to running in a VM. Will try and see what works out. Will let you know. Thanks to all.

3. eric_093

eric_093 Newbie

Reputations:
  4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So far, Samsung have shipped either their own SSD or a Liteon (which has very good test results). However, another batch to another country could use something else.

John

5. socal70

socal70 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I stopped by my local BB to play with the 15'' series 9 and found the screen hinge slightly on the loose side...

How is the build quality for you guys? Maybe in the BB showcase is the constant wave of people playing with the machine, opening and closing the lid
    haha.

6. Buff.12

Buff.12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm, well now I can't hear the high pitched whine anymore.. strange. Anyway, John, regarding the post you made earlier about telling me to disable two Intel-graphics exes from running, I've done that now.

My question would be, what mode did you calibrate your monitor in? Samsung's monitor settings has comes with "standard" as the default setting, while there's also a "no effect" option.

My eyes tell me "standard" should be what I'm to leave it on after loading your profile, but just want to make sure.

What are some of the non-essential services/programs you guys uninstalled as to not drain battery life unnecessarily?

The mousepad isn't as bad as what my impression was from reading reviews, but it'd be good if I could tune the tapping sensitivity down. I haven't been able to find a way to do that, so I've had to turn it off instead. Having to depress the pad to click isn't really a problem.. more that the pad actually has left and right buttons so clicking the right-hand one instead of the left one happens every now and again. A uniform pad to distribute the pressure, with two-finger-click being right-click would be nice. Of course, the best thing would be to be able to tune the tapping sensitivity in the first place though.

7. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks John for the BIOS link, I though it wasn't that one since its date is way back to April. Now I realise that the program is just the updater, not the update itself. Is there any way to know when there is a BIOS update available just by looking at Samsung's website? I am running Linux, and I can't launch the updater for checking if there is something on queue.

8. kurri17

kurri17 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi John,
    are you using that power brick on the right?
    If so, how do you like it? Is it a lot better than the Samsung one?

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My X4C display feels slightly less rigid then the X3B but I think this is not looseness in the hinges but a combination of (a) the display itself being slightly less rigid and (b) the way the hinges are fixed to the chassis. The latter may be the weakness: Pulling forward on an open display appears to make the back of the chassis lift slightly.

Yes, I'm on "standard" and have disabled the movie color enhancer because it was reverting the display color to the original profile, not the calibrated profile.

The background processes don't take a lot of power. Add the CPU time column in Task Manager's processes page and you can see the cumulative CPU usage for each process.

There are better controls, including sensitivity, if you extract ETDAniConf.exe from the touchpad driver package, put it somewhere and run it.

You will have to follow this thread to see if anyone reports a BIOS update.

The third party PSU is smaller and lighter than the Samsung PSU. However, the L-shaped plug (less awkward and less fragile) on the new version of the Samsung PSU makes that my favorite. I travel with 2 PSUs. normally one sits in the hotel and the other in the office but the redundancy means I'm not stuck if one PSU dies (finding spare PSUs with the Samsung tip isn't easy).

John

10. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Fair enough, hope that people would like to report that, otherwise I'll ask from time to time :)

By the way, knowing that you have the same laptop as me gives me additional confidence, thanks for your tips!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.