Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raaaabert

raaaabert Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where'd you get the i7 version in the UK?

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    1. I think you'll struggle to fill 8GB RAM unless you start running Virtual Machines or run several concurrent programs editing high resolution graphics. If you do need more RAM then someone tested 16GB in the X4B so we would expect that to also work in the X4C. You have to remove 10 screws and the base to get to the RAM slots. The speed difference (~15%) between i5 and i7 is unlikely to be noticeable unless you run programs that load the CPU for tens of minutes (ie the i7 does in 50 minutes what takes the i5 an hour to process).

2. The one on the left is the Samsung PSU. The one on the right is a 3rd party PSU.

John

3. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I live in Italy ;)

4. kingofthebraves

kingofthebraves Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Im about to pull the trigger on the x4d and just wanted to know if there was anyone else complaining about the wifi ? I just returned a series 7. 17 inch because it had horrible reception and the only way to use it was beside the router . Hows your wifi in public places ? Libraries ? Airports ? How many walls away from the router before your signal drops ?

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I see that notebookcheck have looked at the NP900X4C. I see that the reviewer has interpreted the SEC display code as Seiko-Epson. I must query that since my X3B has an SEC0100 panel which we believe to be Samsung's own PLS technology. 1366 x 768 resolution:eek: That review suggests that fan noise is not an issue, but then I looked at their T420s review which they found to be exceptionally quiet. Production variability?

My WiFi was OK during a short holiday last week but I was probably only one (solid) wall away from the router (didn't check where it was). My poor performance at home is about 15m away on another floor through a couple of thin walls. It's not just subjectively poor, it is noticeably worse than the other computers I have tried. I should be able to comment on airport performance later this week but I'll have this in my bag as backup.

John

6. nkhalique7

nkhalique7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently got the Samsung micro HDMI to VGA adapter (AA-AH1NAMB/E) and I can honestly say its truly horrendous for connecting to a larger monitor. I bought it for a 24" Dell and although the resolutions go to 1680 x 1050, I just cant get it to display text as crisp as it should be. I only seem to achieve this at 1280x1024, which defeats the purpose of a 24" monitor (more desktop space). This must be to do with the fact that its going from digital (HDMI) to analog (VGA) and just loosing quality somewhere. Just a word of warning for anyone considering this dongle.

This leaves me with two options 1) the VGA dongle from Samsung and 2) a micro HDMI to DVI adapter. My external monitors max resolution is 1920x1200. Which connection would be best? I don't mind a analog connection as long as it can actually give me the space my external monitor is capable of. My connection options on the Dell are VGA, DVI and Display port. Any guidance welcome!

Also a few other niggles with the series 9:
    - Has anyone noticed that the function buttons for mute, sound up and down suddenly stop working now and then? This happens to me when I have the function lock on (which I have on all the time) and all the other functions work as normal.
    - When on fire fox I somehow manage to get the tab I am on to open up in another window using the touch pad. Not sure exactly how I manage this but before I know it the tab I am on opens a new window. Highly frustrating but I think its to do with the touch pad.

Thanks in advance

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, no surprise: Micro-HDMI is only rated up to 1080p. The lack of a higher resolution video output is one of the failings of the Series 9. Samsung hadn't anticipated everyone's requirements.

I would try micro-HDCMI to DVI. The digital signal whould be better, but you won't get more than 1080 vertical pixels.

I've not noticed this problem but never use the Fn lock on the X4C. Why do you want to use it> It's not like the 13" where the page navigation keys share the cursor keys.
    Clever. Run ETDAniConf.exe (which you will find in the touchpad driver installation package) and see if you can figure out which gesture causes this behaviour.

John

8. nkhalique7

nkhalique7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks John

I'm going to get both a micro hdmi to DVI adapter and the Samsung VGA adapter and see how both work. I could use my older monitor too on VGA as a second monitor and VGA in general will come in handy.

I use the function lock almost all the time down to pure convenience. I don't have that much use for F1, F2 etc and I find using samsungs function buttons very convenient to change brightness/sound etc quickly.

I'll try that program out soon as it really bugs me!

9. kingofthebraves

kingofthebraves Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank you for your input. Darn, is there no other laptop available that's light, fast and 15 inches? Anyone else experiencing wifi issues?

10. kurri17

kurri17 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Is there any way to find out which panel model is installed i the x4c?
    I dont see it in the control panel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.