Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    As far as I know the ones that Amazon sells are all mineral ash black. Mine was, even though it said "titan silver".

2. go45cvi

go45cvi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  3. Apparition

Apparition Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. stefandyke

stefandyke Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Has anyone tested the maximum resolution supported via the mini-VGA output? I ask as I connected my HDTV via the dongle and I was shown options up to 2560x1440 (which naturally my TV doesn't support), so I'm wondering if the HD4000 provides more than 1920x1080 as the max or if there was just something odd going on.

And has anyone tried to run the laptop screen plus 2 monitors as seen in the Intel demo (Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics Demoed on 3 Screens - YouTube), I don't have access to multiple monitors to test on.

Thanks.

5. damonnoah

damonnoah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So what do you guys think? I bought the 128 GB a few days ago but with the release of a 256 gb new model A03 do you think there is a differnt in buying the 256 and ugprading myself or waiting to buy the new one. besdies hard drive and windows home versus windows professional -- any other differences between the two machines?

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think the 256GB version also comes with an i7 3517U CPU which is a bit faster.

John

7. damonnoah

damonnoah Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, boy so hard to not return this one i just bought a few days ago knowing this one is around the corner.

8. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there,

Sorry to bring the display topic up again, but I am reading different thoughts on it, and I'd like to known what you think of the colour rendering, the contrast and the viewing angles.

I know that angles are much worse than the 13" counterpart, what about contrast and colours? I've heard people mentioning a contrast value of 170:1, while other panels (Asus UX31A) reach more than 1000:1. Is it really so bad? Are the reduced viewing angles unbearable? Can anybody comment on the difference between the 15" and the 13" display in terms of colours, contrast, crispness and so on? I had a chance to look at the 13" and it was amazing, hence, if the 15" performs closely (apart from the viewing angles), I'll be more than happy.

By the way, I am not a photographer, I qualify as a user that cares having a good quality screen, not the ultimate screen. How does the screen compare with an average laptop panel with similar resolution? For example, I was quite ok with my T420s, which people reported as having a bad screen, tought I thought the vertical viewing angle coulkd have been improved, and it was a little annoying to adjust the panel position when watching a movie. John, if I remember correctly, you also had the Lenovo one. Have you had a chance to see the 15" screen and compare it to the T420s' one?

Sorry for all these questions, but this laptop will cost me a premium amount of money, and I do not want to regret such an expense.

Thanks a lot for any kind of feedback, this thread has been of incredible value for deciding what to get as my next toy.
    Alessandro

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I haven't seen the X4 (I'm working on it but want the i7 CPU and 256GB SSD which is in short supply). However, from what I have read the display, while disappointing for a premium notebook, is above average for a TN panel. If you were happy with the T420s display then you should be happy with the X4. Thors.Hammer took some photos of an X4B alongside the X3B. Perhaps those, combined with the X3B vs T420s photos in my X3B review, can provide an X4B vs T420s comparison.

John

10. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks John, and thanks Thors for the pics in the other thread. God those screens look different, I am now tempted again by the 13", but that 4 Gb RAM limit is a major source of pain. Why Samsung, why did you save on the screen on one model, and on the RAM on the other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.