Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Regarding the SSD, any mSATA SSD should work. I cannot think of a reason why the 860 EVO would not work and the price is very reasonable. The review here highlights the differences between the 860 EVO and the 850 EVO. The diffeences are and improved controller, bigger cache and newer (cheaper) memory chips.

Regarding your RAM question, as noted in this recent discussion discussion, Samsung implemented something in the BIOS which made it fussy about the type of RAM which will work (possibly something to do with timings or wanting only 1.5V modules rather than 1.35/1.5V modules) and that constraint will also apply to 16GB modules. This sales listing is for 16GB 1.5V DDR3 SODIMM and says 1.5V and says that the modules may be manufactureed by Micron, Samsung, Hynix or Gigaram. You need to research datasheets and check the voltages. Ideally borrow a box of different 16GB modules to see if any will work or purchase something which the seller claims will be compatible and will refund the money if it is not.

John

2. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks John!
    Regarding the SSD cloning, do you think this msata to usb enclosure will help the process?
    About the RAM you linked from memoryx website, I don't understand if each stick is 16Gb or not. Dual ranked means what?
    It would be also helpful try to find this stick with 1.5 V in a European based shop just to avoid extra costs.
    Cheers

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I've got a similar mSATA-USB enclosure which I have used for cloning. However, that was several years ago and I can't remember if there were problems. The alternative is to use Macrium Reflect to make an image onto an external HDD and then restore the image onto the new SSD.

Here's an explanation of dual ranked RAM. I'll leave you to do the searching for possible suitable RAM. I provided that link because it named four brands which might offer 1.5V 16GB modules. However, you need to check as they might be 1.35/1.5V modules which the X4C might not like. Or maybe this voltage issue isn't the cause of the X4C being fussy about the type of RAM.

John

kirth likes this.
  4. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A quick update: ordered the EVO 860 and an msata to usb adapter to clone current ssd drive. Will update on this once done. I don't expect major troubles here.

Regarding the RAM, I contacted memoryten support and their reply was not promising. Here's the relevant part of the text (sorry I am from mobile and cannot properly format this):

--------------
    Your notebook specifications:

Max Supported Size
    8 GB
    Technology
    DDR3 SDRAM
    Speed
    1600 MHz

You have 2 slots and the max you can install is 2x8GB SODIMMS, for a
    total of 16GB. Here is the link for that memory
    https://www.memoryx.com/cyx.html
    Or enter code CYX in the search box on our home page.

Your notebook isn't capable of upgrading to 32GB.
    --------------

That's strange because the Intel website clearly states it can support up to 32 Gb.

I'm thinking about 2 options:
    1) search for a 16Gb pc3 12800 ddr3 1600 cl11 1.5 v 204 pin module. Currently not able to find it anywhere :(
    EDIT: memoryten module indeed is 16 Gb. I think I will give it a go

2) get the Crucial CT204864BF160B from Amazon which is reported as a 1.35v-1.5v module.

Any advice?
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  5. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just placed my order at memoryten. Fingers crossed. I'll update this thread hopefully from a 32 gb RAM NP900X4C :)

6. User32

User32 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    16GB DIMMs don't work on Ivy Bridge, only Broadwell supports them.

7. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Today I installed the Samsung 860 Evo 1 Tb msata ssd, cloning the original disk and everything seems good so far

Dannemand likes this.
  9. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Do you know if there is a newer BIOS version for the Samsung NP900X4C?
    My current BIOS is the following:
    Phoenix Technologies
    18/11/2013
    P07AAC

Checking with the biosupdate.exe utility from Samsung I don't get any availble update.

But I remember some thread here at NBR with someone mentioning some P09 ams even P10 BIOS version.

Another related question: do you think I could run into problems/errors reinstalling my current RAM in case the newer 32Gb dimms would not work?

Thanks

10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This link into Samsung's BIOS database confirms that ITEM_20131127_21276_WIN_P07AAC is indeed the latest update for the AAC Platform ID.

I've curiously been awaiting your report about those 16GB DIMM's. I hate to be a spoilsport, but I don't remember hearing of anybody who successfully installed 2x16GB DIMMs in any Samsung Ivy Bridge model. As I recall, the only Ivy Bridge model to support 32GB is the NP700G7C Gamer, through 4x8GB. Personally I would just cancel the order, or return it unopened if you can get your money back. But if you do try it, we'll much appreciate you report here. And if it turns out to work, I shall be the first to congratulate you :D

John Ratsey and kirth like this.