Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

1. sabbasolo

sabbasolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,

I am still very happy with my Series 9 NP900X4C, (which I have upgraded with a new battery and 500GB SSD). However the keyboard has started playing up, first the vertical row BHY and now a few other keys.

The row made me think of a bad connection to the motherboard, or a chip coming loose.

Any suggestions? Would a CMOS reset help?

Thanks

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can try is removal / reinsertion of the keyboard cable into the socket of the mainboard. A CMOS reset won't help. Did you spill any liquid onto the keyboard? This can confuse the electronics.

Replacement requires either the complete keyboard / palmrest unit (called by Samsung the "Unit housing top" or a replacement keyboard (usually from China via ebay or similar) which involves removal of the old keyboard from the palmrest unit and then gluing in the new keyboard. A few people have done this.

John

3. sabbasolo

sabbasolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks John,

No liquids spilt - I will open up next time it happens on a weekend and try the reseating option.
    Will update the thread when I know.

Edwin

4. sabbasolo

sabbasolo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any link / hint please on to how to glue in a replacement keyboard? Replacement keyboards with the palmrest are over $250, which is stretching the value. I vaguely remember seeing a video but I can't find it anywhere.

5. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I recall correctly then the basic keyboard is fixed into the palmrest unit by what look like plastic pegs which have had their ends melted. You need to remove these ends using either a sharp craft knife or a Dremel (or similar) tool and then using some glue to fix the new keyboards.

Someone, somewhere in these forums (possibly the Series 8) has done this.

John

6. R_S

R_S Newbie

Reputations:
    Im having trouble with my computer suddenly becoming extremely slow. browsers load slow, programs load slow, videos lag and is pixelated.
    It has happende in the last week, after a reboot where i installed a windows update.

Ive tried running, AVG tuneup, CCleaner, malwarebytes, setting RAM allocation, deactivated start up programs, etc.

Anyone got a good solution?

7. huberth

huberth Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Using system restore, put the system back to a time before the windows update.

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi R_S, welcome to NBR.

My first suspect would be that your computer got stuck in Silent Mode. That is a classic trapdoor with Samsung laptops. Open Samsung Settings (Fn-F1) and make sure Silent Mode is set to OFF (not AUTO).

9. kirth

kirth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I jump on this thread as the original and historical Samsung NP900X4C one is currently closed.
    I own an NP900X4C-01IT and I'm still very satisfied with it.
    I must admit everything is still working fine, except for the battery which doesn't last more than one hour and a half/two hours maximum.

More that a couple years ago, I upgraded the RAM to a 16 (8+8) configuration (see attached hwinfo images for full specifications). Everything went smooth.

I was planning to buy a new laptop during this Black Friday but thanks to the amazing Lenovo sales strategy the Thinkpad X1 Extreme I was interested in went by approx 2100$ at Lenovo USA store (with 64 Gb RAM!) and same spec machine (but with only the half amount of RAM - 32 Gb) went at approx 3400$ at the Italian store. No words about it.

For this reason I have started thinking to spend a less amount of money and further upgrade my current Samsung laptop.

Things I need to upgrade:
    • SSD: move from the original Samsung 256 msata ssd to a 1 TB disk. I bet no problems/issues should be encountered here. My only doubt is wether the Samsung EVO 860 will work or if I need to stick with the more difficult to find (and more pricey too) EVO 850. Other possible good candidates (where good stands for "works out of the box" apart from read/write etc capabilities)?
    • RAM: as I said before, I already upgraded once. This time I would try to move to a 32 Gb (16+16) configuration. The reason why I need all this RAM is because I mainly use my pc with VMs and Virtual Labs. Reading the CPU specs the max supported amount of RAM seems to be 32 Gb. My current RAM works as per the attached images. From my searches on the net I have not founded reviews of people who did such an upgrade with these machines. Possible RAM candidates I have spotted: Crucial CT2KIT204864BF160B 32 GB Kit or the equivalent Dual Ranked, really don't know what's the difference...
    Regarding the SSD migration what would be the procedure you suggest to follow? Buy an msata to USB enclosure+cable and use Samsung Data Migration sw to perform the cloning process?

Thank you very much for your feedbacks.

Cheers

hwinfo.PNG
    hwinfo_01.PNG
    hwinfo_BIOS.PNG
    hwinfo_RAM.PNG hwinfo_SSD.PNG

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The forum automatically closes threads that have been dormant for a long time. I re-opened it and moved you post here. Post away :)