Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamezr

jamezr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks John......My internet speeds from the NP900X4C are right around 12 to 15 MBs download. That is about what I get from other laptops in the house. But as soon as I leave the 10 feet radius and direct line of sight the signal drops. Also I use a bluetooth mouse. But if I turn off bluetooth my wireless speed and stability increases dramatically. I did try the Intel driver update utility already to make sure i had the latest drivers but it had no impact.
    Thanks for the thread link for the wireless router settings. I think I have my router optimized already. I have other laptops and wireless devices that have no problem connecting throughout the house and even outdoors on my back patio. So the wireless issue is only with the Samsung series 9. I have a XPS 15z and MBP and iPad and iMac and cell phones all connecting without an problems. Thanks for the help. I posted on the Samsung Laptop Facebook page asking for help and am waiting to hera back from them. I am also going to call Samsung tomorrow and see what they say.....
    Thank you so much for the help John! You rock!

James

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    What you are seeing is similar to my own experience and I bought an external WiFi adapter as backup in case poor WiFi became a problem during my travels. However, so far it has not been needed (or more accurately it didn't manage to connect at one hotel with a very weak signal).

The underlying problem with the WiFi is that a thin metal case doesn't make it easy to include good antennae (in normal notebook they are usually along the top edge of the display). The X4C's antennae are on the back edge of the chassis between the hinges where the casing is plastic, but there is still a lot of metal in close proximity. It's a compromise that I have learned to live with but hope that manufacturers will figure out ways to improve the situation.

John

3. jamezr

jamezr Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for all of your help John. I ma going to return the laptop today. I just feel like I should not have to go through this much effort to get the laptop to be fully functional. I was trying to make it work because I got it as an open box item for only $825. But this is the first laptop that i have ever had to jump through so many hoops right out of the box to get it going....and still not fully functional. I can't live with the weak or no signal wireless issue......that is a deal breaker for me. Thanks for your help! :)

James

4. nanotech

nanotech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow for $825 I would just buy it directly from you. Brand new, but just opened box, for $825??

5. nanotech

nanotech Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think my trackpad issue is also probably a ssd issue. Because sometimes it just works very well and sometimes it's glitchy. Anyway, still about a $200 upgrade from the $1100 I already paid (refurbished) = $1300. And the wireless will still be weird/slow because of, like you're saying, antenna placement. That sounds like too hefty a price to pay for sleekiness/mobility. I'm considering just getting an x230 with a more powerful processor for about $1k after installation of a Sam 830 256gb. If jamezr would sell me his for about $900 including shipping then I'd be at $1100 with the crucial drive...which would be enough of a deal for me.

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    In Task Manager try changing the priority of ETDCtrl.exe and ETDCtrlHelper.exe to "Above normal". I think that reduced the occasional pad non-responsiveness that I used to have. [Note that it may take a few attempts to make the changes to priorities to stick.]

John

7. Naelex

Naelex Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've upgraded my ssd to the crucial m4 and it didnt make a difference. Changing the priority of both process to high made a minor improvement, but sometimes my trackpad just stops working completely for a few minutes at a time, often after opening the lid and waking from sleep.

Honestly the only thing stopping me from sending it back (maybe mine is just particularly bad?) is that i need it more a less every day now and cant afford to not have it for a few weeks

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    My pad often doesn't work after resuming from hibernation. The work-around is to shut the lid for 20 seconds to let the computer go to sleep then open it again. This is a basic hardware issue that might be solvable at the BIOS level although Samsung UK support recommend to reinstall Windows (I don't think they have hands-on experience of IRST to appreciate that it works outside Windows). I hope that they passed the issue to HQ, but I doubt it. My pad also occasionally briefly stops working at other times but only for a few seconds.

John

9. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    John, I believe these are either Windows issues or drivers issues, not BIOS ones. I am using Linux and my pad works beautifully after hibernation, and does never get stuck. On the other hand, lid events recognition under Linux is a pain.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I am using not Windows hibernation / resume but Intel Rapid Start Technology which doesn't even prompt for a BIOS password (when set) when it wakes up so it's plausible, in my opinion, that it sometimes wakes up faster than the system level touchpad software. If you are using IRST with Linux then my theory may be wrong.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.