Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooman1

zooman1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello, on my X4C, having some trackpad issues, need advice. It keeps jumping around when i type and my palm hits the trackpad. Any recommendations to turn down the sensitivity? I opened the Samsung Pointing Device app, don't see any trackpad sensitivity options. Looked at control panel / device / mouse / touchpad, it opens up the same samsung (elan touchpad) app. Any suggestions appreciated?

2. wulftone

wulftone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone here tried to upgrade the screen to a better panel? Does a 15" matte PLS screen even exist yet?

3. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What driver version are you using? Did you upgrade to the newest version from Samsung's website? This has improved the trackpad for me. You can extract a little settings application from the driver archive (the zip file you download from Samsung), which does have sensitivity settings in it, but for me those did not make any positive difference.

4. zooman1

zooman1 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    version, 10.7.17.5. July 6, 2012. Will try the settings application you mention, thanks for that tip.

5. kingofthebraves

kingofthebraves Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My x4d is extremely prone to scratches and chipping, I've been using it for barely a month now just for the office on my docking station and it already has a chip and a deep scratch. I know this thing is a little smaller than the 15 inch mbp, so ideally should I buy a 14inch laptop sleeve or stick to the regular 15.6 inch laptop sleeve?

Planning on getting the neoprene ones from amazon.

Thanks!

6. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There are some suggestions in this thread. You may find a stretch 14" sleeve will just fit although Samsung's claim about the 14" form factor must have used bigger 14" notebooks for comparison. Alternatively for a sleeve designed for an old 15" notebook. The best strategy, if you can't check in a store, is to look for dimensions very close to the X4's size.

John

7. alexcriss

alexcriss Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I found Tucano' sleeve for the macbook pro 15 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001MHN110/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) to be satisfactory. It perfectly matches the laptop width, and it is just slightly too high (the macbook doesn't have a widescreen display) and thick.

I'll see if I can post some pictures later today, in the case somebody is interested.

8. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    John,

does your Spyder give you a measurement of the contrast ratio? I'm just curious, I have seen contrast ratios as low as 100:1 being thrown around for this screen, but I have never seen any "official" numbers. Do you know more about this?

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    No. Notebookcheck uses a Gossen Mavo meter which I think is a light meter. While I would consider that the 15" display doesn't have as much contrast as the 13.3" Samsung IPS panel, it's very usable. For working with text on any TN panel I have the display slightly pushed back which helps make the blacks blacker. Also, reviews with contrast measurements usually don't indicate the brightness level used during the test: Displays tend to wash out at high brightness levels which is likely to reduce the measured contrast.

John

10. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, that might explain the very low reading. Like you say, my display produces perfectly good blacks, but I never use it at max brightness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.