Samsung 15" Series 9 NP900X4C with Ivy Bridge CPU

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Mar 10, 2012.

1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think it's time to give the Ivy Bridge version of the 15" Series 9 it's own thread.

In addition to the UK Insight page that has been up for a few days, Google is now finding more hits including Laptops Direct (3rd from bottom on the list as I type this).

Given that the Swedes are listing an NP900X3C it looks as if some Ivy Bridge hardware is going to trickle onto the market sooner than later.

Here is a quick preview of the NP900X4C. It promises good battery life. The display looks OK.

If you want to read the user guide then download it from here. The guide covers both the 13" and 15" versions and the very brief specifications at the back say HM65/HM75 chipsets (the latter is Ivy Bridge). The ports are clearly shown in the user guide and are reproduced here:

The manual doesn't give the size. However, scaling from the screen size suggests that the width given here is about right so maybe all the dimensions are the same. However, there is a significant difference in the weight between that link (1.6kg) and the quick test (1.4kg). The info about the 15" model on this Korean page gives the dimensions as 356.9 x 237 x 14.9 mm and the weight as 1.65kg.

And here is a little info about the i5 3317 UM CPU. It look to be a 1.9GHz part so a slight speed boost compared to the Sandy Bridge S9. That link also mentions the 3517 UM CPU which can be allowed to run at up to 2.8GHz / 25W. However, as I've mentioned before, the thin chassis means a thin fan with limited ability to push air, so lower performance is a compromise to avoid a screaming fan.

I'm getting tempted by the X4C but would have to figure out how to live with the 128GB SSD. The only solution I can think of is to have my current SSD almost permanently connected as an external drive. Or should I sit on my money and hope that the 15" version of the S7 uses the same display?

I would add that it appears that the 15" S9 does not use Samsung's PLS display but is a standard TN panel. However, the samples that have been seen suggest that it is above average.

John

2. mcsven

mcsven Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There's something suspicious about the price of the laptop on that Insight page. The NP900X3B that I bought from John Lewis was £1199, yet this 15" Ivy Bridge version is only £50 more? John Lewis is usually rather more expensive than internet due to the warranty they offer, but this still looks a bit too cheap. It's almost worth putting in an order...

3. johnsto

johnsto Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can't recall where, but at the start of the year I recall £1,199 for 13" and £1,299 for15in were being thrown about in previews. So not too far off.

4. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Two possible factors for the similar pricing: (i) Building larger notebooks is a little easier and (ii) We don't know how good the 15" display is. I hope it is the same quality as the 13" (which is assume is Samsung's PLS panel).

John

5. Thors.Hammer

Thors.Hammer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Why is it, at this late date, nobody seems to know these answers? I am referring to the specifics around the 15" display. Does Samsung talk to the press? They launched the darn thing in Korea.

6. crackertime

crackertime Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey John, someone in the first 15 inch thread had a good idea early on, which was to buy a 32 or 64 gig SD card and leave it permanently in the laptop. That is my current plan to add to the 128 SSD, I never would have thought of it.

7. Oldghost

Oldghost Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a 128GB Lexar class 10 SDXC card. I tried it in my 2012 Samsung Series 9
    13 inch, It's OK.

But two downsides.

1. Even at class 10 it's much, much slower that the built-in SSD

2. It sticks out a little. which isn't that big of a deal, but I need to remove it
    to put the notebook in my case ( tight fit, and I'm afraid it will get snagged.)

Hopefully on the 15 inch version it completely fits in the slot.

8. dejacky

dejacky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    one of the youtube reviews said the 15" version will not have as wide angle viewing display as the 13" version fwiw.

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I've updated the first post with a couple of links.

Using an SD card is a possible expansion option for data but I wouldn't want to run programs from there. One might need to secure the card in place with some tape.

This machine would be much more usable with the 256GB SSD, but the review here states that Samsung's PM830 won't be available through the retail channel.

John

10. etlynn

etlynn Newbie

Reputations:
    Is there any reason to assume that there won't be a model with the 256gb HD? I just figured that they would release it few weeks later. I guess I haven't really seen anything indicating this, but I don't see why they wouldn't do so...