Samsung 128GB SSD vs. Intel 80GB X18-M...benchies! ;)

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by CrunchDude, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Anubis,

I'm sorry it took me SIX months to respond to your question. LOL...

But it was worth the wait, because YES, you do have the "faster plastic contraption" haha...Lenovo is not shipping the other one anymore.

[​IMG]

vs the speed of the X18 (pictured borrowed from the first message by TS)

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Nice speeds! I had a Toshiba drive briefly just to test it. The small files (4K in this test) still get written faster with the Intel drive, Toshiba drives read them extremely fast, which is great to see.

I still have my X18-M 80GB G1, and it has gone through literally several TB's of data. It continues to perform like a champ. I am waiting for Intel's 3rd generation SSD's, which, I understand, will have higher capacity flash storage. Is that right? Besides that, do we know of any other differences between the G2's and the upcoming G3's? I'd be particularly interested in any technical differences. Any ideas as to an ETA?

Glad we're still doing the benchmark thread! :)

2. marlinspike

marlinspike Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It seems you're on a T60p. I too am on a T60p. I have the same samsung part number for my drive as you do. Why are our scores so different? It is just the difference between XP and Win7?
    [​IMG]
    (my score is circled, and the arrow is pointing to your later gen samsung ssd scores, which is the same part number as my drive)

3. hki

hki Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    T60p cannot get sequential read numbers much higher than yours as it is limited to SATA I. The benchmarks where read is above 200 MB/s must be on some other machine (seems to be t400s).

4. CrunchDude

CrunchDude Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hki is correct. When I ran those speed tests, I had a ThinkPad W700, which supports SATA II. I have yet another machine now, an iMac, which will support those kinds of speeds again, too.

What you want to pay close attention to are the 4K blocks, as most files read and written by an operating system are small in size. You will only get those large sequential speeds when you're transferring big files. How often does that happen? These high sequential speeds are mostly used for marketing purposes.

5. blitzkrieg3

blitzkrieg3 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm upgrading my operating system on my X301 and I want to know which SSD I should get. I want to use my current 64G drive as a hot backup. Currently I have a 64 Gig TOSHIBA, model number THNS064GG2BAAA. I'm thinking of just getting this 128G drive, but it doesn't really tell much about the underlying vendor. Is that the same as the blazing fast THNS128GG4BAAA mentioned above?

Reading back, that seems to be the fastest yet, even better than the supposedly high quality intel X18, and better than both rounds of Samsung.

Additionally, I was wondering if it is necessary to give any thought to partition alignment. Ted Tso mentions the X25 needing this so I would think the X18 and others mentioned here need it as well. Currently my drive is not aligned for 4k partitions, but any future drive will be.

6. Tulip

Tulip Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mmmm, I dunno what drive is that 128gb, maybe the one we are getting into our T410s'. I would watch out for trim support. Never get an ssd drive without that.

7. blitzkrieg3

blitzkrieg3 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, that's interesting. As a Linux user, on the one hand I want a drive that supports TRIM, but on the other hand, I want to use LVM, which is currently incompatible with TRIM. I've also heard on this thread and others that TRIM doesn't really matter that much, and even so I've decided to use a log structured filesystem in nilfs2 so that _should_ take care of itself, right?

Edit: Actually now that I think of it a log structured filesystem, while avoiding hot spots, will probably make the situation worse regarding TRIM and free blocks.

8. abop

abop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys so should i expect the new fast 128 ssd to come with the t410 i just ordered?

9. ibazar83

ibazar83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Does it fit the HP 2530p? Thx

10. Zuwxiv

Zuwxiv Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You know he wrote that like two and a half years ago, right?

That's some serious necroposting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.