Same spec Y740 worth the premium over Y540?

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by Lamim Rashid, Sep 22, 2019.

1. dumpsterj

dumpsterj Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    However they do it , it looks better in Battlefield. Its not earth shattering but its still cool. The same way the Pantone certification on my Aero 15x made its screen look better than the other laptops I had seen before. Also the screen is really bright. Its a great laptop screen.

2. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I forgot to make an update on this, but gsync is why I decided to get the Y740. Also check out the battlenonsense videos on laptop gsync specifically because it's not the same as desktop gsync, but is more similar to free sync or "gsync compatible". Gsync with the module in the monitor can enable gsync without any extra latency, but laptop/gsync compatible monitors and panels have a very small addition of 1-3ms latency from what I can understand. It's still very good, and of course unnoticeable. Originally I was worried that gsync compatible was not very good after reading all the complaints about it when it first became a thing but I think it's very mature by now and probably has higher standards for qualification in laptop implementations because I haven't had any issues with it. Was also worried about the added latency from not having the dedicated module but after seeing that it was only a few ms, and still far superior than using vsync or fast sync I decided it was worth it, and definitely has been. Games look beautiful above playable framerates and feel very responsive, especially once you limit the GPU fps. I highly recommend limiting your fps to slightly below your average fps if you cant maintain fps at your refresh rate -4 (-3 if you're using a monitor with the dedicated gsync module) because this IMMENSELY decreases latency and having a stable framerate looks much smoother than having a few fps more but constantly varying. There was a very good battlenonsense video documenting this.

Tristram13 likes this.
  3. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How good software HDR looks is pretty dependant on the implementation. It can make things look worse even if it's implemented poorly. So far I haven't had any games or content to take advantage of HDR yet so idk if this feature is any usefull to me anyways.. I'm wary of HDR gaming anyways because HDR does introduce more latency on most monitors, but there are a few monitors that have almost as good HDR latency as without so it might be worth a try in the future when there's more HDR content.

4. dumpsterj

dumpsterj Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah its not really a big thing, the only game I use it in is battlefield , but its there. It looks good even if its only software. Kinda like the Dolby stuff enhances the sound. Im sure its open to interpretation but I consider them improvements.

I didn't get the 740 for the HDR tho. I got it for the bright screen and cuz I snagged a brand new open box for $1200 on ebay lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
  5. Tristram13

Tristram13 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ah your right its not exactly the same, but at least its such a minute difference.

Ill keep that idead about fps limiting in mind, thanks