Salvage Old Build?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by xxAVxx, Oct 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxAVxx

xxAVxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've decided it's time to upgrade my rather gaming desktop as I can't play any of the newer titles being released but, I want to salvage what I can. I'm keeping the case, hard drives, fans etc. and I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard, gpu, ram, and cpu without breaking the bank (want to stay under $500). Here's what I've chosen:

MB: MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150; GPU: EVGA 750 Ti; RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB; CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Quad-Core 3.2 GHz

I'm reusing the power supply, which is 500W. Any additional advice? Overkill? I want to make sure I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    You have a non K CPU and Z mobo. Don't get Z mobo with locked CPU. Instead get H/etc series. That way you can save like $20.
    I also didn't quite get GPU model. Google says it's 750ti. Why not get 950 instead?

3. xxAVxx

xxAVxx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I checked gpu compatibility on the mobo website and 950 wasn't listed. But, will look at different mobo/gpu options.

4. deadsmiley

deadsmiley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That comes close to what my system is Asrock Z97 extreme6 16g G.Skill sport XT i5-4690K 4.2ghz OC and MSI 970GTX 4G OC and it works fine. Got a EVGA 750W PSU. Unless your going hardcore I would upgrade the i5 to i7 and RAM to 16gig and PSU to 750 @80%. I think your game play has alot to do with your GPU instead being 750 is to low to handle games like GTA. I would get two 970 and SLI them and that will more then improve your gameplay. If you don't want to break the bank get a Single 970 like my MSI 970GTX 4G OC and a 750W PSU and that will come close to your 500$ mark. And for CPU I would get a "K" version if you can for a i5 or i7. But 8Gig RAM is still sufficient to game play it is your GPU that matter most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.