Sager Vs MSI (Vs any others)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Wargigas, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wargigas

Wargigas Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

I'm looking for a new gaming laptop/desktop replacement. 17" would be nice, but for pricing I would consider 15". Longevity, quality and performance are key.

I've heard good things about Sager's customization, user-friendly upgrades, and cooling capacities but have seen mixed reviews on quality/warranty/customer service. Being ugly is less of a problem than being a quality product.

I like MSI's style, but I've heard their cooling is below par (possibly no longer an issue with the newer models having 2 dedicated fans?) and they run more $ than Sager. Again, quality is more important than style.

I will be aiming to configure any brand with the following components ideally:
    i7 4710Hq 2.5Ghz;
    Nvidia Geforce 970m 6gb or 980m 4gb;
    16gb (2x8) G-Skill RAM,
    128gb SSD to Boot with 1TB HDD for storage.

Other than that, I'm flexible and just want the most reliable product, that will last the longest (structurally, quality and performance) for the best price. So...

1) What is your budget?
    $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15 or 17
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Xoticpc probably, but possibly lpc-digital or ibuypower. Xoticpc seems to offer the most options/customization. Will probably wait for a sale such as Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager, MSI (Also Gigabyte, ASUS, Alienware)
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Possibly

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, but weight is not a concern

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    High end RPGs/FPS: ie Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    More is better, but not a deciding factor

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Not a deciding factor

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Style is nice, but quality, longevity and performance are more important

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Between now and Black Friday

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    128SSD to boot with 1TB Storage HHD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Flexible, not a deciding factor

NewKidInTown likes this.
  2. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
    If you really prefer 17" model, there are a few Clevos and Alienware that seem to be close to the same price with similar components whether you choose 15 inch or 17 inch (670SG/SE, 650SE/SG, P770zm/P750zm, Alienware 17/15).

The difference is the 17" are less portable obviously, and very few 17" laptops available with display resolution above 1080p, if any.

TomJGX likes this.
  3. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    I wouldn't suggest the new AW's due to their horrible placement of CPU+GPU which causes the keyboard to overheat.. I would personally suggest the P750ZM/770ZM..

4. Wargigas

Wargigas Newbie

Reputations:
    AWs will probably be out of my price bracket.

Really my biggest concern is quality and cooling.

Sager is cheaper and can be upgraded so I can keep it longer with upgrades. I've also heard they cool very well.

MSI is more expensive and I've heard they don't cool well. But that was from older posts when they only had one dedicated fan for gpu and cpu. Now they have two so it may not be an issue anymore.

As for screen size, I'm not set on 17, and I don't plan on doing anything over 1080p. Some of the sager 15 inch versions have ISP display options that the 17 inch ones do not

5. Wargigas

Wargigas Newbie

Reputations:
    Really just want to know how Sager's long term quality is... Resellersratings had a 5.7/10 mostly due to quality and customer service/warranty issues after product failure. Being cheaper and upgradable doesn't counter being poor quality in the long run.

And how is MSI for cooling? is it better with the cooler booster 3 and dual fans or do they still run hot. Quality of course is another general question.

There hasn't been a review of a Sager laptop on here in several years as far as I can tell.

6. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm also concerned about Sager/Clevo, they maybe cheap and powerful but like you said OP a ratin of 5.7/10 is something that I'm concerned.

How about Gigabyte or Schenker XMG? The latter seems overpriced and I think it's a Clevo?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  7. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    The ratings tend to refer to certain sellers, rather than Clevo itself. XMG (mySN) and Sager both use Clevo, they are the same thing, just branded differently. MySn is based in Germany, so I can't see how buying from them makes any sense if you are in the US. Clearly the prices include VAT, hence the difference.
    There are many reviews for the Clevo models Sager uses by the way. Use the proper Clevo model number.

NewKidInTown likes this.
  8. moviemarketing

moviemarketing Milk Drinker

Reputations:
  9. Quikster

Quikster Notebook Deity NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    This is why everyone says DO NOT buy directly from Sager, buy from a Sager reseller and your warranty support goes through them. Such as XoticPC, LPC-Digital, powernotebooks, prostar. If you have any issues you will contact them and they will deal with Sager if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.