Sager P150EM Problem With 7970m

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Qvixot, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Qvixot

Qvixot Newbie

Reputations:
    Where can I find the stock bios of sager p150em?

and btw what cpu upgrade paths do i have? Is there a better cpu than i7 3840qm for this laptop? thanks

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Usually from the reseller it came from.

3. PhOeNiX_H

PhOeNiX_H Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have no idea where you can get sager stock bios, but about cpus:

i7 3632QM is the best choice for low power (35W)
    i7 3840QM is the best choice for "regular" power (45W)
    i7 3920XM and i7 3940XM are the choices for high power (55W)
    I'm listing two at the last category because some people say that 3940XM is just an overclocked 3920XM, which means it will run even hotter than it supposed to be.

I'm using an i7 3632QM on mine, which gave me bottleneck playing Cyberpunk 2077. I'm not sure if I could get rid of that using an i7 3920/3940XM, but I doubt it.

4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    If it's a bottleneck it will help but no more than the percentage of clock increase.

5. Qvixot

Qvixot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello again. I contacted sager to get the bios for my laptop but when I gave them all the info they needed they told me that my laptop is not their product, although I'm pretty sure it is, since the cover says sager and the bios install say sager as well. I guess it's just an old laptop and can't find it form the serial number. I finally want to upgrade to a gtx970m so what bios should i use? And what modification I have to do in order to make the gpu to work properly? Thanks for the help!

6. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Prema bios would help with temps and stability, but it's not exactly necessary, unless you are using a really old bios version.

For 970M it really depends which card you'll get. In my case, I got what it seems like a GTX 970M from Dell/Alienware, so I couldn't install drivers without any modifications. I explained what I had to do on this topic.

Also, looking for P150EM bios will make easier to find something and I think it's compatible with sager NP9150 computers (if not, I'm pretty sure someone will correct me).

7. Qvixot

Qvixot Newbie

Reputations:
    Should I flash the clevo bios instead of sager bios? Idc if I can't reverse unless there is a specific reason to do?!

8. PhOeNiX_H

Reputations:
    Tbh, I'd do that only if you have any issues with your 970M (stability wise. Not being detected on bios setup and driver modification are the kind of "issues" that are expected). Idk if you'll lose some functions with a specific Sager bios because I never used this one.

But I'm saying that about clevo x sager bios. If you add prema in this comparison, I would choose that instead anytime.

Maybe you won't be lucky to find an EUROCOM v3b Bios (which was also made by prema) that will detect you card without any issues and install drivers without any modifications, but you can find a Prema 1.02.17PM v2 bios with some luck.

I'm saying that because this bios was public for some time, but now it isn't.

9. Qvixot

Qvixot Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok so I tried a gtx970m and when I tried installing wondows after a while the windows logo got stuck on loading. What does that mean? P.s using stock sager bios

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Can you boot in safe mode?