Sager np8952 Max Q vs Aero 15

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by childprotectorofthenight, Jul 28, 2017.

1. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? 1,700

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    xotic, Hidevolution, gentech pc anywhere honestly

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Gigabyte, Sager

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    no, Had a bad experience
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    gaming and watching movies, schoolwork
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, HOTS, COD BO3
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Don't need to see
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    either
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    3 days

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    both have ssd
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    no

OK PEOPLE I NEED HELP DECIDING BETWEEN THE TWO. I think the Aero would be a personal choice because of the battery life, and also can anyone tell me where I could get either with a possible student discount. The Aero comes in at 1,899 before tax and the Sager is about the same. Any reseller I can apply a student discount/ any discount with. I'm looking to spend 1,700 max maybe 1,800 if possible. Thank you all

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think the Areo15 is overall a better laptop. It has a more premium fit and finish (it is Gygabyte's flagship laptop where the Sager/clevo is mid range at best). Both will perform just about he same (GTX 1070 Max-Q is about 5% faster than GTX 1060)

HIDevolution is a great choice for the purchase. They have some of the best re-seller support and helpfulness.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I don't have experience with the Sager, but I am borrowing an Aero 15 at the moment. It's a very solid machine. The per-key RGB keyboard is fantastic. My only personal complaint is that it gets pretty hot while gaming, but that's an assumption you can make with any thin gaming notebook.

Charles

4. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Anything labelled Max-Q is not worth the money currently. I'd go for the Aero. Better battery life and much better value.

5. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Does HIDevolution or Gentech offer a student discount? Thanks

6. Deevs

Deevs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, wondering why you think Max-Q is not worth the money? Didn't it solve the heat issues on the previous model, while maintaining relatively good performance? I was also on the lookout for a thin and light lappy, so I would generally believe Max-Q is best fit.

7. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Performance is horrible and it doesn't fix anything. Look at @D2 Ultima 's opinion piece for NBC - the 1080MQ is as slow as a normal 1070 while costing much more. Max-Q is a rip-off and designed to trick people into spending more for less. A 1070MQ is barely faster than a normal 1060. A 1060MQ should be closer to a 1050 Ti than a 1060.

8. kmeck518

kmeck518 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HIDevolution offers a discount to NBR forum users (you can message Donald@HIDevolution and he can give you details about it), and Gentech does offer a student discount with promo code "edu".

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is the best I could find for your budget and specs: search result.

If you lower your battery life requirements, I could also recommend the P950HR : https://noteb.com/?model/model.php?conf=3351848392567339135

You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information. (EU/US) stands for Europe/USA only model.

10. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    The Aero 15 is not a good machine out of the box from what I understand. It needs some liquid metal on it and is extremely expensive for what it provides. I would pick the 1070MQ in the P950HR over it. While the unit is better than a Razer, I think Gigabyte is off their rocker offering such things at the price it comes at. The screen is not good, the heat is rather high at stock, and storage expansion is not that great. If they had sorted it out more from the gate and reduced the price a bit, I'd say it'd be a nice quality machine. But that's pretty much it.

As far as I can tell, the Aero 15 is more expensive and worse performing, so... I don't know why I would recommend it really.