Sager NP8454 (Clevo PB51RF-G) early impression

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Sabs47, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    What issue are you having currently wanting to make you update?

2. Encryptonite

Encryptonite Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what's your temps in games/benchmarks at that clock speed? very impressive!

3. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Benchmarks will hit 94C on the CPU at that temp (fans maxed out btw). GPU doesn't even hit 60C. I don't run it like that for regular use or gaming because it's simply a waste of energy.
    Here's a link to my highest Firestrike score so far: LINK

The reality is for regular gaming, combined with G-Sync and a frame-limiter, I run it at 3.6ghz all-core underclock (full 1ghz lower!). 3.6ghz all-core draws about half as much power at 70W (as opposed to 140W in that 4.6ghz run!) and in games it's more like 30-4W. So it runs much quieter and cooler (~70C). In multi-core workloads, even at 3.6ghz it still walks all over the 9750H.

I'd need to swap paste to get more out of it. It's using ICD (which is stock from Metabox) right now. Kryonaut would buy me a couple of degrees and Conductonaut a few more on top of that. But it's the middle of winter here and I almost never run it that hard in any practical use so I'll probably wait until warmer months to bother with repasting.

Encryptonite likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    What voltage offset are you running at 3.6Ghz?

5. Encryptonite

Reputations:
    I'm curious as to how it's able to sustain 4.6 at 94c? that's all really nice info, thanks for that. I'm contemplating on getting this config, that's why I ask

6. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm currently on -130mv for 3.6ghz. I could probably drop it some more but since this is primarily a work machine, I don't have a huge amount of time to risk BSODs during the day :eek:

First thing, is you MUST lift the rear of the laptop as the air intakes from the bottom. By default, the rubber feat are simply not enough to lift the machine under those kinds of loads. In my case I use a Deepcool Windpal notebook cooler, but I don't even plug it in and use the fans. It simply acts as a stand for increased air flow. Although using the fans would probably help too.

Second thing, is for those runs I am running the fans at 100% using the FN+1 shortcut.

To be clear, running it at 4.6ghz is highly impractical (at least on my stock paste, Liquid Metal is another story). If you intend to render on it or do any longer tasks, running it at something like 4.2ghz all-core is much nicer at ~80C and you don't lose a lot of performance.

7. XMG

XMG Company Representative

Reputations:
    Your assumption is correct. Update EC first, then BIOS.

A new instruction manual is here:
    https://download.schenker-tech.de/package/bios-update-via-efi-shell/

If you are absolutely positive that you have PB51Rx(-G), then it is safe to update our EC/BIOS, even if you bought your machine at a different reseller. If in doubt, check the rating label first.
    If you need more support, feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
    XMG|Tom

8. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Two bottle caps is the portable solution.

9. Encryptonite

Reputations:

huge help in my decision making! I appreciate it. hope everything goes well, now. it's definitely a unique laptop to have and fits my needs almost perfectly (there's always a downside to a laptop, as I see).

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Every laptop is a set of compromises to fit a specific need case.