Sager NP8454 (Clevo PB51RF-G) early impression

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Sabs47, Jul 6, 2019.

1. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Would you mind reporting the PL on your unit?
    The 9750h config is limited to 55W in Performance mode, and that is enough to push it to almost 90deg while gaming (i.e. with gpu pulling 115W).
    With cpu-only load I think it is settling at 80deg with fans at medium speed (it is way too noisy at max speed!), I need to doublecheck my data.

I wouldn't expect the cooling system to be able to handle 150W on the cpu :)

Does the 9980hk config have a beefier CPU heatsink?

Based on my experience (9750h 2070 config) , I find this model has great GPU cooling, but not-so-good CPU cooling.

Le Quan likes this.
  2. DkmCd

DkmCd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    M.2 SATA(older) drives. That makes sens. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
  4. DkmCd

DkmCd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. Le Quan

Le Quan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Woah, imagine this 15" could handle 150W from CPU. What a beast. Whats your ambient temp? and whats the fan setting + temps for 4Ghz @ 80W.

Also, from the reviews I read this laptop has a slight problem with airflow and need to be propped up, right?

6. Mark J Foster

Mark J Foster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, @Le Quan! For all the heavy duty benchmarking I throw at my NP8454, I'm absolutely delighted with the TeckNet Laptop Cooling Pad. It's not silent, but it is very quiet, and keeps the system cool. It's a perfect size for the machine, and gives a nice sloped typing angle. It doesn't even need a USB port, since it includes a USB hub port where you can plug in any external keyboard/mouse receiver. There's no setup or maintenance; just plug it in to the rear USB Type A connector on the back of the machine using the included cable. No fiddling with switching it on or off, since it follows the system's power. It's also just $22. Highly recommended! :)

7. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It lasts long enough for a Cinebench run and a FireStrike run.
    Firestrike is here: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19676402
    Cinebench:
    cinebenchR15-4.6ghz.PNG
    I suspect it could do 4.7 or even 4.8ghz with a cooling pad and liquid metal.

I have no idea what the absolute Power Limit is (other than being limited by the power adapter). HWInfo reports Unlimited for max PL. At stock PL1 and PL2 are set to 55W and 107W respectively.

Not that I know of.

It does indeed. On my overclocking runs I run it propped up.

Ambient temps during testing is ~22C.
    At 4ghz all-core, max temp is 77C with automatic fans (propped up and ~70% fanspeed by my estimation). This is under a CPU only test though.

8. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sounds about right. CB and FS Physics Test last about the same duration from what I recall.

9. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Sata versions can be had pretty cheap and still offer very good performance.

10. Le Quan

Le Quan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice one. I saw a review of the new Aero 17 (9980HK) on youtube and it maintains above 4GHz under extended combined CPU+GPU stress test with liquid metal and reaches 84C max. This clevo might do slightly better with LM repaste. The Aero beats this in appearance by far, though comes at a more expensive price tag.

The Aero can also hold 4.6GHz under CPU only test (Aida64).