Sager NP8454 (Clevo PB51RF-G) early impression

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Sabs47, Jul 6, 2019.

1. DkmCd

DkmCd Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thank You for answer.
    Manual is quite confusing (page 17 - service manual)
    "
    M.2 Slots
    Slot 1 for Combo WLAN and Bluetooth Module
    Slot 2 for SATA or PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD
    Slot 3 for PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD
    "
    It is good that it works in Your configuration.
    I am wondering if Slot 2 nvme will share the PCI bus with SATA drive and slow it down under full load.

2. Mark J Foster

Mark J Foster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Could you please restate your question? If you place an NVMe module into Slot 2, it won't be connecting to the M.2 SATA pins, so I don't see how there's loading problems going on with the 2.5" SATA bay. Now, if you're asking if a SATA module is installed into Slot 2 (why would you do that?), it would be up to @Meaker@Sager as to whether the SATA pins are shared between these two modules?

In any case, I'm beating up these interfaces to the max, and definitely have not found any problems with loading in this fully-loaded system!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    DkmCd likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The south bridge handles all i/o except for the GPU on intel mainstream platforms. All other i/o is therefore capped at a total 3.5GB/sec no matter the interface.

Mark J Foster likes this.
  4. DkmCd

DkmCd Notebook Guru

Reputations:

This phrase is confusing for me "Slot 2 for SATA or PCIe Gen3 x4 SSD". I don't know exact internals, but word `or` at manual sounds like the SATA and PCIe exclude each other(or slow down). So if you have SATA drive at bay You second M.2 PCIe drive will be somehow influenced.
    I am still thinking about upgrade and want the best long term solution for drives and don't want surprises :)

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It means slot 2 can take either card type of SATA or PCI-e which are electrically different.

Slot 3 is PCI-e only and wont work with SATA based devices.

6. Mark J Foster

Mark J Foster Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What that phrase means is that you can either have a SATA SSD in that slot, or you can have a PCIe/NVMe SSD in that slot. It refers to that M.2 slot only, not to anything in the drive bay. In case you didn't know, there are (older) M.2 SATA drives. Does that make more sense now?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    DkmCd likes this.
  7. Le Quan

Le Quan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    would this unit handle the i9 9980hk well enough? I've been impressed with the laptop from reading posts from this thread so far but one one mentioned the i9 sku. i'm looking at the i9 + 4k oled option for cad drawing + video editing but not sure if this laptop faces throttling issue like other thin 15" with 8 cores

8. Stooj

Stooj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've got the 9980HK and it handles it great.

At max fans I can run it at 4.6ghz all-core at around 150W which is absolutely bonkers. As impractical as it is, it's nipping at the heels of the 9900K at those settings.
    At stock it tends to stick to a more reasonable ~80W limit which puts it around 3.9ghz all-core which is still far beyond the base clock of 2.4ghz (which is what's required to stick to the absurd 45W listed TDP).

For day to day use and gaming I run mine at a "mere" 3.6ghz all-core which maxes out around 68W and 80C without lifting the laptop rear up. With a cooling pad or something to prop it up, you'd be looking at 75C on the cpu core which is very good.

I've never seen it hit the 5ghz single core turbo though. I don't think it's even possible due to the Windows scheduler always allocating work to more than 1 thread.

Le Quan likes this.
  9. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How long can it do this before overheating, enough for a short CineBench run? :p

10. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    It might hit the 5GHz mark but only for a millisecond.