Sager NP8358F2-S (Clevo PB51DF2) mini review: RTX 2070 super, Intel 8 core....

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by hodgeMN, May 31, 2020.

1. Fred_Huang

Fred_Huang Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dota2, raibow 6. Game just closes. No error code, no asking for restart.

2. Fred_Huang

Reputations:
    Have you undervolted and disable turbo? I found them very helpful (Look at my updated reply earlier). was able to control temps around 60-80 range. If allow turbo, change the turbo ratio limit to 50%~ so the peak temperature does not go crazy.
    I don't know about PCH temperatures though, mine is at 60-80+ ranges, hope it does not melt..

misterman73 likes this.
  3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Have you checked the windows event log? PCH is good up to around 110C.

4W4K3 and misterman73 like this.
  4. Histeresys

Histeresys Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I currently have a -100.6mv on core and cache with the turbo locked at 38 when more than 4 cores are in use. Runs at just under 70C during Cinebench R20 on all cores but the 3 (cores 3, 5, 7 in HWInfo) that are still doing 95+ with one normally hitting thermal limit. At this point I am assuming its either bad thermal paste or or bad heat sink. I pulled it apart and re-tightened the screws on the spreader to see if it was unevenly tightened but that didn't help anything. I have an email out to where I purchased the laptop to see what the next step is. After waiting 2 months for the delivery of this one I am not looking forward to sending it back out for a week or and having a ripped apart again. Those tiny screws only have so much life in them.

5. Fred_Huang

Reputations:
    Damn i am sorry that you have the laptop in such condition. If you have undervolted then there is definitely something wrong in my opinion. Ask the seller to fix it (at least ask him to send you back up screws because you have to open it up yourself). I think the long wait might be the "school opening" season and the 10875 CPU having a limited supply back then, which should be over now. So you might get a speedy service this time.

It is pretty weird that your 4/5th cores got high temperatures instead of the first few.

6. cooljeffro

cooljeffro Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm also having this issue. Anybody encountered this? Keyboard/touchpad works about 1 / 5 boot ups.

Edit: Setting acpi=off in the kernel boot options seems to fix the issue.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  7. Fred_Huang

Reputations:
    Also experiencing some fan whining at lower speed (45% CPU. 50% GPU), where the computer sits most of the time browsing the web (dedicated gpu turned on). Any solutions?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    A 20c difference in temps betweenibetween cores is certainly an issue.

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just downloaded a game and started the install. Then the laptop turned off, no lights, and won't boot. I've tried a couple different AC adapters tried it with the battery in and out and tried on battery power. No lights nothing. Laptop has been running great since I bought it back in May I think. I can't think of any issues I'd had and I hadn't made any changes to it after getting it all setup how I had it this whole time.

Are there any additional troubleshooting steps I should try before removing my drives and starting an RMA? I wasn't sure if there was a button combo I could hold down to reset the BIOS or something like that.

10. Fred_Huang

Reputations:
    If there is no power lights when you plug in ac adapter, with or without battery, then I think something is wrong on your motherboard. Maybe a short circuit somewhere so it didn't power up at all.

I would recommend RMA. By the way would you mind sharing the vendor of it?

Three things you could try but the chances are small and probably not worth the effort.

1. Remove ram: sometimes a faulty ram can cause laptop not boot up.
    2. If you can get a good battery try it. This is to eliminate that your charging circuit is dead and your battery is drained. But you still need to fix the circuit...
    3. Get a thermal detector, plug in, try turn on. If there is a short circuit somewhere, the shorted area on motherboard might heat up. Or you can try touch it. So you know when you RMA the vendor is talking sense.

Good luck!