Sager NP8358F2-S (Clevo PB51DF2) mini review: RTX 2070 super, Intel 8 core....

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by hodgeMN, May 31, 2020.

1. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anyone else notice high PCH temps when gaming?
    After an hour of gaming I checked my PCH temp and it got up to 87C (CPU and GPU were low 70s) normally when not doing anything the PCH hangs in the 60s.
    I've heard many stories of people having their laptops die due to overheating PCH after doing a lot of gaming over a years time.
    Low 80s wouldn't worry me as much but mine was nearing 90c.
    In my opinion all PCH should have a heatsink. I've seen people mod their laptops with one and it drops gaming temps by 20 or more degrees.
    Also noticed the NVME drive is sitting around 50c and at one point it was recorded to hit 61C.
    I might stick a heatsink on the NVME if there is space for it, I doubt it already has one.

edit: Just noticed the older version of this Sager laptop (NP8358F2) has one of the heat pipes going over the PCH while the NP8358F2-S does not. I wonder if the older version had high PCH temps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  2. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I let Monster Hunter World run for a while and here is the max it climbed to.
    So far Monster Hunter World is the only game I had power limit throttle the CPU down to 3.7-3.8ghz.
    Seems to be one of the more demanding games to run (CPU and GPU) especially while trying to getting higher fps so I thought it made a good gaming scenario test.
    [​IMG]

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Needed that second vrm pipe and if you have two of those hovering over the PCH that is going to help bake it.

4. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thinking of applying a thermal pad to the PCH. Also wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a NVME heatsink that will fit in this laptop. Noticed my NVME getting over 60C.

5. misterman73

misterman73 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Where did you order from? I wonder if the GenTech thermal pad upgrade covers this...

6. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I purchased from Gentech. I haven't opened the laptop yet since I didn't want to bother with the annoyance of removing the keyboard to get to the last screw to open the bottom.
    I figure they did apply thermal pads to the other components that are under the heatsink. The CPU and GPU temps are great so I figured they applied the diamond paste I asked for. And they also removed the Sager logo that I requested.
    I doubt they applied any cooling to the PCH since it is reaching 84C in an air conditioned room. I saw it reach 87C at one time when the room was a little warmer. A simple thermal pad and thin heatsink plate should drop temps to the 70s at least. A larger finned heatsink would be better but I think one of the heatpipes is too close.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  7. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Crudely measuring the PCH die it is around 9-10mm long by 6-7mm wide give or take.
    I am thinking about getting a gpu ram heatsink kit and using one of those.
    https://www.amazon.com/Jonsnowo-Cop...ywords=heatsink+pc&qid=1594382745&s=pc&sr=1-7

It's a little on the large size but the height should be low enough to fit in the chassis.
    The NVME stick has a thermal pad on it but it still gets a bit toasty with nothing to dissipate the heat to.
    I want to get a thin plate such as in the link below.
    https://www.amazon.com/Heatsink-Copper-Copper,-Silicone-Thermal/dp/B07QNRP9HK

8. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was going to use a copper heatsink for my chipset but decided against it after thinking on it.
    I don't want to use thermal double sided tape and risk the heatsink eventually coming loose and short circuiting the board and I don't want to use thermal adhesive as that is a permanent application and will most likely void my warranty.
    Only option I seem to have is to try some thermal pad which probably wouldn't help much since there is nothing to dissipate the heat to.
    Although I noticed Gentech did put a fuji poly thermal pad on my NVME stick so it must do something...

9. RyviusRan

RyviusRan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I ran this benchmark stress test with the same programs running in this video.

Here are my results.
    I am interested in what other people get.
    [​IMG]

10. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it normal to be unable to adjust screen brightness when in discrete mode? Not tried MS Hybrid mode to see if that is the culprit, but it seems weird that it seems to be locked to max brightness, and can't either lower it or activate night mode.