]]>

Sager NP8275 Laptop Battery replacement

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by chowdan, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chowdan

chowdan Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey everyone!

I purchased my Sager NP8275 from XoticPC back in 2013. Just after my warranty period had expired my laptop battery had started to die. I noticed this as one day the laptop was still charging after being plugged in for more than 8 hours(while at work).

When i came to realize that I was getting close to just 20 mins of usage, and the charge times were becoming longer and long, I contacted XoticPC and they gave a quote of $155 + S/H for a replacement battery.

I figured since I had dropped $1600 on the laptop, and it was mainly a laptop that was a "desktop", I would just not replace the battery until i started to use it as a laptop again. Well in beginning of early 2015, the battery finally gave out. It lasted just over 2 years before completely not being able to hold a charge.

Now that I live aboard my sailboat, I am very limited on power. I was wondering if anyone had any recommended sources for batteries for the NP8275 laptop?

I purchased one from Digsells.com, however they seem to be a fraud company. I made the purchase back in Feb(Feb 20th), and have yet to receive any sort of contact from them. I email them on a daily basis(I send over 200 emails per day via an automated method) and have yet to receive a single response. I am working with my bank to claim this as a fraudulent charge.

I will continue to spam them with emails, not because I expect to get a response, but to flood them with emails, to just piss them off. Especially since i'musing an automated way to do it, it doesn't require much work from me.

Anyways does anyone have a good, reputable source?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Drew01

Drew01 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Could you still be connected via charger if you had an electric outlet all the time?

I had a sager np2740 laptop and the battery went out after just few months. So basically i plugged it in all the time since it said i need battery replacement. I bought a brand new battery directly from sager which was pretty expensive. I had to go to a repair shop to have them install the battery since it required them to open it up. Well after a few months, that battery has went bad as well.

Is your battery internal or external battery? I'm really starting to wonder if sager batteries eventually all go bad? For me, I do have the electric outlet to connect to but as you know, i would prefer to have like 1.5 hr charge on it without it at least.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    There is an option in the BIOS called Flexi Charger that allows you to limit when the battery will charge, so I set it to start charging at 80% and stop charging at 90%, this way, the battery never gets overcharged and thus never dying. What baffles me though is why this option is not enabled by default causing many people to have bad batteries in no time.

4. pat@XOTICPC

pat@XOTICPC Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think Flexi Charger is only on newer models.

Sorry to hear that you are going through that process with the battery vendor, but thanks for letting us know so hopefully someone else doesn't have to go through with that.

5. chowdan

chowdan Newbie

Reputations:
    @Drew01 - My battery is completely shot from what I can tell(even if it holds a charge it functions as if its dead). Unfortunately since I'm living on a boat, even if it just needed to be plugged into an outlet, that would mean the outlet would need to supply some sort of electrical current which would affect my boats overall power systems(a constant drain which is what I'm trying to avoid).

@Phoenix - I'll have to see if Flexi Charger is available on my rig, or maybe a bios update can have it. Either way, that would be an incredibly nice feature to have!

@pat@XOTICPC - Hopefully this didn't sound like I was complaining about XoticPc, instead, I'm actually quite happy with you guys! Out of curiosity, has the price of the NP8275 batteries gone down, or is it still $155 + S/H? Do you guys source the battery directly from clevo/sager or are you going to a manufacturer? The reason I ask is because if you go to a manufacturer, is it a Chinese sourced battery? Of course not all chinese battery manufacturers have issues, but i've dealt with quite a bit of them over the years and have found its quite difficult to find a source of high quality batteries. Regardless of the source, how long would it take for you to ship out a battery for my laptop to the zipcode of 98115? Can you do overnight? 2 day? If so, whats the cost? Seems like all other sources take a good 2-6 weeks since they are shipping from China. If you can get it to me by Saturday, we can chat in a PM and you can send an order over to me and Ill be glad to make payment tonight.

On the flip side, I do quite enjoy my laptop, sager/clevo seems to be a decent brand. The only two issues I've had with it is the upgrade to windows 10(driver support) and the battery. I mainly use it for software development(overkill) but also use it as a gaming and video editing platform and its a great machine

Phoenix likes this.
  6. pat@XOTICPC

pat@XOTICPC Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    No worries, I didn't think it was a rant about us at all. I got your message, and I'll check in to this for you.

Usually we try to get the same battery manufacturer that would have been original to the system, and if we can't get that, then we would look at another brand possibly. I'll see what I can do to find out what the cost is and the info on shipping as well. Not something I have a quick answer myself, but we would have to look in to it and get a price over to you.

Glad to hear that you still enjoy the system overall. Let me knwo if there is anything I can do for you otherwise!

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    It's under advanced chipset settings on my Clevo P870DM-G laptop

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.