Sager NP8155 vs Sager NP 7850 vs Asus FX502VM-AS73 vs MSI GP62MVRX

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by GamingACU, May 16, 2017.

1. GamingACU

GamingACU Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've managed to narrow down my selection to these 4 laptops. I will mainly be using it for work, as I travel a lot and do heavy gaming. I need something durable, reliable and powerful that will also be easy to transport. I've been able to spec the Sager NP8155, Sager NP 7850, Asus FX502VM-AS73, and MSI GP62MVRX to about $100 of each other (close to $1300 total). I've had amazing experiences with both MSI and Sager and hit/miss with Asus but I know the brand is generally solid.

Thanks for you feedback in advance.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1000~1400

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI, Sager, Asus

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Traveling for work. Covering videogame conventions. Playing MMORPGs. Watching movies. Streaming to 4k tv.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly travel.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, both high-end online and single-player games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4+

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is alright

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows, preferably without bloatware.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

At least 1600x900, but would like 1080p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Mildly

15) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 2-3 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? At least 500gb. A small SSD would be nice.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? No.

==========

2. SkidrowSKT

SkidrowSKT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you're looking for a great keyboard to type on, the MSI GP62MVR won't disappoint. Cooling wise, it's good as well, but you mighy want to repaste it in the long run. Build quality is okay, although it could be a hit/miss as well. For this price tag range, the GTX 1060 3GB is the GPU to go for if you're favoring heavy gaming.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

Yet you choose 15 inch laptops . I'm confused.

4. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would choose the MSI GT62VR. G-Sync, better cooling than the GP, and also a better screen than any of those laptops. These particular Sager models use low color gamut IPS displays (not awful but meh) and the FX502VM/GP62MVR use low quality TN panels with poor contrast and viewing angles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K00YHMG/ ($1325 at the moment)

That is, assuming you do want 15-inchers and not 14-inchers.