1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Sager NP8130 vs. ASUS G53SW-A1. Similar price/Couple Differences. Which should I pick?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by psycheight, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psycheight

psycheight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm almost ready to make a purchase and I've narrowed my choices down to two configured options. Both laptops are just above $1500 and have a couple of differences which I have listed in bold below. I'll be using this laptop mainly for gaming. Which one looks like the better choice to go for?

Sager NP8130:
    -15.6” Full HD (1920x1080) LED-Backlit Display w/ Matte
    -nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    -Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM
    -IC Diamond Thermal Compound
    -8GB (2x4GB SODIMMS) DDR3/1333
    -120GB Intel® 510 Series SATA III Solid-State Drive
    -Combo Dual Layer DVD +/-R/RW CD-R/RW
    -Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1102
    -Windows 7 Premium
    -3-Year Labor 1-Year Parts Warranty

ASUS G53SW-A1:
    -15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) LED backlit LCD (non matte)
    -nVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
    -Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM
    -IC Diamond Thermal Compound
    -8GB (4 SODIMMS) DDR3/1333
    -500GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive
    -Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW
    -Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1102
    -Windows 7 Premium
    -Asus Gaming Mouse
    -Asus Gaming Backpack
    -Global Two Year Warranty + 1 Year ADP + 24/7 ASUS Support

So as you can see, the main difference would be the hard drives (120gb SSD vs. a 500gb SATA), and then you have the slight difference in memory sodimms (2 sticks vs. 4 sticks), little difference in warranty, and the free mouse/backpack w/ the Asus.

This is a tough decision for me. Please help! :D

2. Naples

Naples Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd go with the Sager just because of the difference you'll see in the hard drive speeds between SSD and SATA, plus 2x4GB of RAM makes it cheaper to upgrade if needed in the future.

3. Soran_F

Soran_F Zero

Reputations:
    If you don't mind form factor, go with the Sager. Personally, I'd go with the Asus cause I like how it looks.

4. Thisisalamp

Thisisalamp Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just as Vergil_Sparda said, if you'd prefer appearances and is a big factor in your purchase, then go for the ASUS.

If not, the Sager is the bigger winner with the specs you posted. Not saying that the Sager is bad looking; I actually like its look (coming from my NP8150)

5. moho

moho Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been spending alot of time checking into both of these systems and some others over the past few months.

Here are some additional differences that may or may not be important to you:
    --screen type & contrast ratio (Asus glossy w/166:1, Sager matte w/400:1)
    --audio systems (most reviews I find consider the ASUS substantially better)
    --illuminated keyboard (ASUS has, Sager does not)
    --HDD bays (ASUS has 2 bays, Sager has the option of 2 only if you sacrifice the optical)
    --rubberized finish (ASUS has, Sager does not). Nice for long gaming sessions, imo.

The Sager is also more easily upgradeable if you are looking to have the laptop for more than a couple years.

I'm relatively new to the forums, but I hope that helps a bit. Good luck :)

6. Valentin N

Valentin N Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go for sager; matte full HD screen.

7. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The G53SW is pretty new and not many people have them, so as one of the few people who is in possession of one I feel obliged to point out a big plus that is rarely discussed - it has REALLY superior cooling, as in the best cooling of any laptop I've ever encountered, by far. I think this has to do with a combination of the huge size of the rear vents in relation to the overall size of the notebook itself, and the rubberized finish/exterior that stays a whole lot cooler than the normal plastic/aluminum that you typically see. The fan is also extremely quiet. I really can't stress just how impressed I am with the cooling system, in my eyes it's a huge point in favor of it over similarly-priced Sager models. It's misguided to say that the only difference is the visual appeal just because the major specs are the same, I think.

Also, I would suggest buying a G53SW- XA-1/XN-1/X_-1 model instead of the A-1. Unless you really want that extra bag and gaming mouse, it's worth it to save a few hundred bucks and look at the discounted models. The hardware is not significant changed - the only difference is 2GB fewer RAM and a slightly smaller HDD. Just do *not* buy an Asus at Best Buy, whatever you do.

But in your specific case, with the way those two laptops are currently spec'd I'd go with the Sager - but if it were me I'd buy a much cheaper G53SW from a different location with just a 500GB HDD and upgrade to an SSD on my own, since that's the real significant difference between the two. And FYI the G53SW comes with an additional hard drive bay with a caddy already in the machine, so it's really easy to add in an SSD and just keep your original HDD for storage. I also find it weird how that Asus has 4x2GB sticks - mine came with only 6GB total, but it was 1x4GB + 1x2GB

8. skydrome1

skydrome1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, just adding my two cents worth. From all the reviews I've read, the Sager has very good cooling too. I think that if your main purpose is gaming, then you should invest in a better GPU, in which I would recommend the Sager NP8150 with the 6970M. It's much faster (about 70%) than the GTX 460M. For both the NP8150 and the G53SW though, upgrading the GPU on your own is strongly discouraged as their power bricks might not be able to push enough power. Just my own opinion.

Oh and the ssd option will make the Sager very quick on boot/load.

Hope you'll reach a good decision!

9. kaworu876

kaworu876 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, many of us would love to have an extra $250 lying around to spend on upgrading a GPU on a system with an already very expensive GPU, but unfortunately it's not in the cards for people who either don't have unlimited budgets or want to efficiently spend their money maximizing the performance of other aspects of their PCs. It's always lovely to have a really sexy graphics card, but the truth is that for a lot of people a GTX 460m is more than powerful enough to begin with for a *lot* of people - I can already run all my games with max graphics at full 1080p with great FPS numbers and then some - I don't need to be able to play *the most* graphics-intensive games on the market at full settings just because I can if I shell out even more money. That $250 or whatever represents a fairly significant quantity of money to have lying around as disposable income for someone like me who is just out of college, and has to pay rent, bills, student loans, car payments, etc. In terms of my notebook, it's better spent on something that will impact performance in a place that needs it - like an SSD, for instance.

Although like I said, with the way the two systems are spec'd in the opening post I would pick up the Sager, for sure, but because of the SSD more than anything else.

10. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sager. Upgrading the sager after the fact is sooo much easier. Asus is kind enough to require you to flip the motherboard to even access the cpu...

Plus sager has the tiniest edge in build quality. Asus does have better style though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.