Sager NP7879PQ-S (Clevo NH77HPQ)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by SierraFan07, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most are soldered BGA. If it's not MXM then it's board based.

Most of the MXM based machines running interchangeable components are going to be beyond your budget. Flexibility costs substantially more when it comes to laptops. The sockets these newer 11th gen CPU's use isn't the same setup as prior generations and there's different sockets coming out for 12th gen as well. Hence it's easier to upgrade the whole system vs components at this point. As MFG changes to smaller dies the sockets and everything else changes as well.

In my book of technology this 11th gen / 3060 should be functional for a good 5 years as developers won't catch up for a few years to max out the performance anyway. Performance needs / deliveries of the GPU's right now are mostly taken up by buggy code writing anyway. The perk of a 3060 at this point for performance might be mining not gaming. I run a 9750H / GTX1650 on my laptop and it runs fine The biggest issue was Chrome bloating RAM usage and that's been fixed with newer releases but, bumping from 16GB to 32GB before that occurred is still a slight boost in performance overall.

I envy the thought of PCI4/5 and TB4/5 speeds but, in reality it's overkill unless you're running a data center with high I/O needs. PCIE Gen 3 / NVME still get you more speed / throughput than you'll ever use in a normal workload. The only time you max the bandwidth out is either benchmarking the drive or disk 2 disk copy locally / internal. Most of the time the disks barely register 1% running normal apps. Applying updates / upgrades flies along but, still don't take advantage of the full speed available.

GPU does hit 100% or slightly less w/ a game or transcoding video files from one format to another but, generally sit @ 10% unless invoked by a game set to use them.

CPU w/ chrome running @ ver 92 for whatever reason keeps the CPU at 20-25% but, when killed drops down to 1-5% with other apps still open.

So, overall it depends on what you'll want to use it for and primarily have running at most times. For a write off though it's a decent investment but, sinking more $ into it w/o the need doesn't make sense to me at least. You said your 6th gen flies along just fine and the 11th gen will do the same. Being a bleeding edge tech junky though I look at the benefits / resale value down the road as well. Who knows what these over priced GPU's will net when the market changes and mining drops off a cliff. I would aim for a lower GPU and sink the cash into RAM / WIFI / Panel and find a better cooling solution for longevity of the system. It's a bit harder to find cooling for these laptops though but, there's a chance for $100 or so on the secondary market. I've tried a handful of different pastes on the CPU/GPU but being a confined space and all in one heat pipes it's hard to keep things "cool".

2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just the desktop based processor machines are MXM now.

3. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for your feedback. As @Meaker@Sager mentioned, these GPUs are no longer replaceable and as you mentioned with 12th Gen Intel being a different socket that means I will carefully consider what I purchase as neither of those will be upgradeable. Do you guys know if any of the Intel processors are replaceable in the case that it died? It would affect my choice of warranty if I knew whether or not this could be done.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

4. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Warranty replacement shouldn't be an issue as they would replace the MOBO and send you on your way.

User replaceable is a different story. Older options exist that you could tinker with like a desktop but, sort of defeat the purpose of trying to do a 3060.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    CPUs rarely fail, GPUs and VRMs are more likely.

A good solder repair shop can do it, but usually as above the board is replaced.