Sager NP7330 Linux Guide/Review

Discussion in 'Linux Compatibility and Software' started by joeelmex, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeelmex

joeelmex Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I place an order for a NP7330 and received it on Monday. My goal was to have 1 Msata 128Gb drive for Manjaro, 1 Msata 128 GB for Windows 8 (for games that I cant get to run on Linux and work applications) and a 750 GB Seagate Hybrid drive.

I received the laptop this past Monday (7-22-13). Overall the laptop is build very nice and the matte screen is very sharp. The 1080P does not make the text to small for me to read. I actually enjoy working on it.

Before I installed anything I made one minor change in the Bios. Disable the Intel Ani-theft option in the Bios. (It's on the the first page) It will make the install much easier. Once disabled do the following;

Boot up with your favorite distro in my case Manjaro Cinnamon X64 edition, and use Gparted. I made one Msata as ext4, the second as NTFS and finally I split the 750 gig. (500 gig as EXT4 and 250 as ntffs) Once complete reboot your system with Windows 8 disk.

Install Windows 8, once completed reboot with your distro DVD.

Install the distro on your EXT4 Msata. In my case, I made 3 partitions. One 150 meg as a boot, 20 GIg as root and the rest as home. Some minor recommendations down below. No need for a swap drive with 16 gigs of ram.

Wifi = Use the 1202 Killer wifi card or anything before that. I don't recommend using the new Intel 7260 wifi card yet. It's not build into the kernel and you will need to make your own custom kernel to make it work. It will probably be added in 3 months or less. My opinion, the reason why you dont want to mess with a custom kernel, it could bring you issues with Optimus/Nvidia drivers later. So stick with a 1202 Killer nic or the intel card before the 7260. I am using the Killer 1202 Nic card.

I am using kernel 3.9.11-1 as of now and everything is working out the box. Here are some screenshots from my machine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the specs of my machine;

CPU=4800
    Wifi=Killer 1202
    Ram=16 Gigss.
    Msatas=Adata APG SX300 (2)
    Drive=Seagate Hybrid .
    Had Sager add the high end thermal compound.

Everything is working great. The wifi sees and connects to both G/N type connections. My Razer Orochi Bluetooth mouse works great. I have verified for the cpu to stay at 800 Mhz and jump up to 2.7 Ghz when needed. When I load up my games I see the CPU jump at 2.7 Ghz and it just stays there usually. Sometime I see it drop to 1.6 when I stop doing things in the actually game. My temps hover from 50 to 60C on the desktop after being on for hours. The fan is very low at those temperatures. In games my cpu's can get up to 80 C sometime they hit to 83 C but then come back down. (I am using coolermaster pad) without the coolermaster air pad my temps go up by 5 C.

The GPU idles at 50C and during long gaming sessions it reaches 65 C to 70 C. Overall this laptop can be used full time in Linux without issues.

The FN-1 options work without problem if you want to manually make the fans go full blast on your Clevo. The light FN-F12 works without issues either.

I have found 2 glitches so far.

Glitch one: FN-F8/F7 light controls do not work. You cant control the brightness as of now. I have not mess with the config files to make it work yet. I been adjusting conky to my liking instead ;) . (FIXED READ BELOW HOW TO FIX IT.)

Glitch 2: If your playing games in one workspace, move to another workspace to work on while leaving the game on on the original workspace. When you go back to your game after a while you will crash the computer. Sometimes its 30 minutes later, sometimes its 5 minutes later. I think it has to do with Optimus/Nvidia then moving back to an Intel video card environment. If you stay in the same workspace and don't switch to another workspace you will be fine. If your playing using the intel card, you can switch between workspaces without the problem.

Overall I am very happy with this buy. The keyboard is rock solid and the computer is very fast. I am enjoying this very much. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

Your fellow Linux Gamer.

Fulmen likes this.
  2. boukyaku

boukyaku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To fix the brightness controls, pass
    to
    in grub.

What is the output when you type
    How did you get the temp sensors to read the dGPU temps? Mine are only visible when the dGPU is on.

3. joeelmex

Reputations:
    Boukyaku if I understand you correctly, I should add this in my grub config file?

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=acpi_backlight=vendor
    or

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=
    acpi_backlight=vendor

Thanks for the info.

Ill give you the output once I get home. I am work and did not bring my laptop today to work.

To get the GPU temp while it was not being use, was a pain. As soon as I get home, I will post the terminal commands. Look for it by 7 pm eastern.

Thanks!

4. boukyaku

boukyaku Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes,
    and then type
    You edit the file
    I usually delete quiet and splash so I can see if the system prints out any errors during boot.

The only way I can see temps is to type
    in the terminal.

5. joeelmex

Reputations:
    boukyaku do the following;

This command should bring you the information.

Code:
    nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE
    Then I grep the ourput of that with Gpu;

Code:
    nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE | grep Gpu  
    Finally I cut out the temperature only, and this is what's in my conly script.

Code:
    nvidia-smi -q -d TEMPERATURE | grep Gpu | cut -c39-40
    I hope that works for you. I am pretty sure it will let me know.

Thanks

6. joeelmex

Reputations:

This is my output.

I added the info to the grub and I saw the line right away on the top. I added the code you gave me and I have the same outcome. :( I will report back once I get it working.

Thanks

7. cybernick01

cybernick01 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice! I'm planning to go for a similar setup. Why didn't you buy the 6235 instead of the killer wifi card?
    Also, it's pretty ironic that so many windows users are having troubles to install the nvidia drivers and you didn't have any at all, linux +1:)

8. joeelmex

Reputations:
    Well I was until I did more research and system 76 had the killer as an upgrade on their machines. So I figured if system76 is charging for an upgrade they found it to be better. So I went for it.

Yes I was a bit worried if I was going to have any issues running the latest Nvidia drivers with Bumblebbe, but nope it went smooth sailing. To be honest with you I had more issues getting Windows 8 updated then getting my Manjaro box done.

BTW this is the command up install everything and let the OS install the latest drivers.

Code:
    sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-bumblebee
    I love manjaro.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Bacon

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for this! I'm considering a dual boot with Windows 8 as well. My only concern is the Intel 7260 802.11AC wi-fi card driver support is zilch right now. I may just use my 6300 for now. I was planning on using Ubuntu though. As long as I can get the keyboard light to work too, because I don't need it on when on battery.

10. joeelmex

Reputations:
    As much as you do for the community, I am glad I can help in a way. Make sure you get a distro that's runing Kernel 3.9 or above. Anything below that your CPU might be stuck at 800 mhz full time.

Guys I updated the grub after the changes that boukyaku recommended but nothing happened. I just rebooted again and it's working. So it took 2 reboots for the light brightness to work. So now I have a full working laptop in Linux. Woohooo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.