Sager NP 8954 vs MSI GS65, Gentech PC vs HIDevolution

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Ezekiel25o17, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Ezekiel25o17

Ezekiel25o17 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $2500, ideally closer to $2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:

Not really, but these two seem to fit. I have also looked at the Aero 15X as well, but have heard problems.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Microsoft office, and gaming (RTS mainly, Sins of a solar empire, Total War games)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

On the road, travel a lot. In the military.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

RTS games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

3-4 is enough for cross country flights

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Ideally yes, but not required. Currently own a Sager, just wanting something smaller.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Win 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1920x1080 is enough for me

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

I am not too tuned into the screens, minus both of these don't have G-sync. 120 vs 144hz seems transparent to me, so unless the screen is noticeable better they seem on par.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

I want something plain, that I can take anywhere and doesn't scream gamer.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

next month or so

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

2-3 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

Ideally at least 1TB, I have 512 right now and I think 500 more would be what I need.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

So I have built both of these laptops at both of the builders, Gentech and HID, and basically have a few questions for the crowd.

The Sager is about a $60 price difference between the two builders, with HID being slightly more expensive.

The MSI is about $500-600 difference between the two builders, with HID being more expensive.

Donald is looking into why there is such a price discrepancy, specifically on the MSI.

My questions are:

1. I haven't seen any reviews for the 8954, but the GS65 is getting pretty positive reviews across the board. Has anyone seen the NP8954 and can say it performs on par with the GS65? I am trying to see if there is a reason to justify the $500+ extra expense over the Sager to get the MSI. Take into account, I don't care about the individual keys lighting up, I currently have a Sager and don't mind the keyboard (though the trackpad sucks), and it seems like for RTS games the 120 vs 144hz doesn't seem that important, and the MSI gold branding doesn't really appeal to me (very subjective I know).

2. How is the heating on both models?

3. Between HID evolution and Gentech. Both Ken and Donald have been outstanding to deal with, answering all my questions and being very patient with my lack of knowledge. I guess from the crowds experience, is there one you prefer over the other and why?

Appreciate everyone's response in advance and thanks for the help with this.

Ezekiel

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The price on the MSI is higher because it's a complete system, while the Clevo is a barebones system with garbage software.

Go with MSI GS 65 or gigabyte Aero 15. Do yourself a favor and stay very far away from thin and light clevo notebooks.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. Ezekiel25o17

Reputations:
    What exactly do you mean by complete system? I have spec'ed them out to be the exact same machine, both with Windows 10, with the OS being reinstalled by either Gentech or HID. What software differences could there be, or are you referring to the BIOS?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    What he means to say is if you're not a tinkerer, the MSI would work great out of the box.

HIDevolution have very nice thermal upgrades for all their laptops like the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut thermal paste and the Fujipoly thermal pads for even cooler temps.

GenTech PC also have good service so choose your poison.

although if you do end up getting a Clevo Machine, you'd have to get it from HIDevolution as they are a Prema partner and the high end models get the Prema BIOS which prevents throttling and opens up a myriad of options in the BIOS otherwise not available in the standard BIOS.

I have no clue what Sager models mean and couldn't care less about them, it's always best to state the Clevo model of the laptop in question if you want better answers.

with that said, if you do get it from HIDevolution, don't forget that if you email donald@hidevolution.com you can avail the NBR discount.

Take a look at these threads:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with

HIDevolution's Warranty!
    HIDevolution - a benchmark for excellent customer service

5. Ezekiel25o17

Reputations:
    Thanks Phoenix. It seems like when it is all said and done the Evoc Clevo from HID is going to be similarly priced to the Gentech one. That being said, with them doing all the pasting, OS/driver/BIOS install, what other tinkering is there for the end user for those machines. I currently have a Clevo with a 980M in it that is 15.6" but one of the bigger models, but I want something a bit more mobile.

I am mainly worried that saving a few hundred bucks is going to cost me performance with going with the Evoc Clevo over the MSI. And it is the 955ER that I am discussing with the 120Hz screen.

Thanks.

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cooling is bad, fan control is so basic that it's more or less almost non existant, Bios on many models cause throttling etc. Once you tried another system you'll understand what I'm talking about.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The 955ER that I see on HIDevolution's site has a 144hz screen: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p955er-1070-max-q.html?ref=1

With that said, they both have similar specs so I'd just go with which one looks better to you.

Which one would I pick if it were my money? MSI, any day, and every day over Clevo, unless you were talking about the big dawgs in Clevo which sport a desktop class CPUs like the P870TM1 but that's a different topic.

Also keep in mind that MSI has better driver and BIOS support than Clevo so that may or not matter to you in the long run

8. Ezekiel25o17

Reputations:

Ahh yes it’s the 950ER vice the 955. So the one with the 120hz. About $80 cheaper.

I guess it seems over all laptop to laptop MSI beats out Clevo but in your opinion $800 worth or just a slight edge? I can build the 950ER for around 2000 where the MSi with the same specs is pushing 2800-2900.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    oh darn, that's a tough choice then. It's a pretty decent amount of savings, heck if you add a few more bucks you get you a spare laptop with that money :D. Go with the Clevo then from HIDevolution and make sure you select the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut for your thermal paste

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Ezekiel25o17

Reputations:
    Copy. I was going to get that and the pads as well. Their best performance one.

Also do you think the 144hz is worth the upgrade? It’s $80 more for just the screen.