Sager (7280) Clevo (X7200) Power Supply Issues.

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Speedy Gonzalez, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marin85

Marin85 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I was a fortune-teller, then I might have been able to give you a reference :) However, you don´t need to be a prophet to see that among the available options X7200 has the highest chance to be compatible with future graphics, and it has whole 2 bloody slots :) You think you can upgrade that ASUS?!... Even assuming that the GTX480M happens to be the most powerful card compatible with X7200 ever, that is, a SLI of it is comparable to the AW CF, then you think you can put a desktop cpu in the AW later on to make it even?... I think the question about the most future-proof laptop from all available options answers itself :p

EDIT: And yes, there is a good chance that the MXM revision in X7200 becomes obsolete soon, but this does not change the situation in any way.

2. big_eazy

big_eazy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    your saying asus, but i think you mean Alienware..

Yea im thinking of saving up for the x7200..

at the crossroads.

also, can you prove with pictures that 1920x1080 is alot better than 1440x900..

Iv'e seen both in action and I personally cannot tell the differance sitting back 2 feet.. I guess if i was to stand 1 inch from the monitor and squint i could tell the differance. on a 50 inch tv it looks much better, but on a small screen like 17inches, how can you say you lose image quality..

and back on topic..

can't wait till speedy posts more benchmarks :)

3. Speedy Gonzalez

Speedy Gonzalez Xtreme Notebook Speeder!

Reputations:
    Sorry guys i am not going to be posting more benchmarks i had some technical issues and my machine is going back to the company i will keep you guys updated on this regard.

4. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Que problema technical tiene?

5. Sgh77

Sgh77 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cant afford to send mine back its $600 for each freight journey, that would end up being $1200 if they sent it back again.

Hopefully mine is a good one ... its just arrived in NZ customs today!

6. bumbo2

bumbo2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Congratulation bro!, and good lock with that beast

7. Pixel_junky

Pixel_junky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys been reading the threads on the x7200, seems like a really nice laptop. This thread had me very interested until I saw that the OP had technical issues. SPGonzalez could you enlighten us into exactly what the technical difficulties where ?

I am hoping that its not an SLI issue !

8. Speedy Gonzalez

Reputations:
    Ok guys i been having multiple PM's about this and i know i have to go public on this because is time

i have my X7200 Saturday and i was so exited for it my specs was i7 980X,sli GTX 480m 4GB. 1333mhz ram, 1 intel ssd and one momentus XT drive with more space for an extra ram and extra HDD. and i tough that was a good idea to save power for overclocking

when install my drivers and games i was ready to play so i fire up Mafia 2 with the Killowatt meter plugged on the wall it shows 324W-332W during the game that was over the specs already i play for like an hour and it was ok

i decide to run the benchmark built in the game at max settings and the killowatt meter shows up to 343W then my PSU shutdown i let it cool and plugged again it works but i was ready to do some real testing

i run furmark single GPU. and Prime 95 at the same time it consumes 275W to close to the limits then i run furmark multi GPU and prime 95 it took seconds to kill my PSU again and the meter shows 370W :eek: for couple seconds

i think the machine is perfect but it needs a bigger PSU like 400W minimum because this is a desktop packed in a little box

sorry guys i pass on this is to much stress for me :(

9. Pixel_junky

Pixel_junky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for that information, I had computed the power requirements myself and was expecting this outcome. I have experience in desktop pc OC and benching. I do agree this package needs a 400w < power supply.

Can you comment on the quality of the components on the mobo. Wondering if it would accept more power, or this system needs to be sold with 460s and not 480s.

They should have gone with a socket 1156, power requirements are less.

10. Speedy Gonzalez

Reputations:
    i think this machine will do some serious overclock with the right PSU. because it plays games real good and the quality of the components seems to be first class also the temps are under control

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.