S21 ultra 5g 512gb 16gb ram 1800 thoughts

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by JRE84, May 1, 2021.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i usually get the best phone when they come out as they get used alot im coming from a snapdragon 845 lg g7 and this phone is alright... the first thing i noticed was how bright the screen was and then after my first scroll how fast it was i was super impressed....then i checked out the cameras and man 30x zoom really brings things closer and looks decent but i say 10x is the sweet spot and 100x shows you things close enough that you cant even see with your naked eyes.

verdict 9/10 needs micros sd support and thats the only con if you guys have questions feel free to ask as ive rambled on long enough.

some videos to check out

Convel and etern4l like this.
  2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't forget full s pen support too to use the pen as a remote shutter release too.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, I find the Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra more interesting. Mainly because of its 1/1.12" ISOCELL GN2 sensor and Snapdragon 888 SoC in all markets. Which phone is actually better seems to be a wash between reviewers, and Samsung certainly has the edge when it comes to availability and probably software too. It will be interesting to see how Google intends to compete with its Pixel 6 this autumn—I'd love to see their software prowess combined with a similar camera setup as those seen in the S21 Ultra and Mi 11 Ultra, but given how happy they've been to reuse the 1/2.55" IMX362/IMX363 and how mediocre the ultrawide camera in the Pixel 5 is, one really has to tamper one's expectations.

In any case, it's great to see how camera innovations has firmly become the new frontier for flagships and how decent periscope setups have become more commonplace. March 2017, when Oppo first showed off their promising 5x periscope zoom prototype, feels like ages ago. It's also sad it's taken us this long to surpass the 1/1.2" sensor size of the 2012 Nokia 808 PureView.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    JRE84 likes this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    sensor size can make a huge difference but sometimes implementation and utility is more important the 12 pro max has a much larger sensor than the ultra 5g but the ultra does better astrophotography and yes s pen support but with no way to charge it so I left it out..you can get a special case but meh not interested..voice recoginition is so good on this phone i dont see a point to jotting down notes

also my verdict now is this phone fixed everything wrong with the s20 and the cameras are so good I cancelled my dlsr rebel order its just that good..

please read this...

i had no choice because my lg g7 went the way of the dodo but wait for the ultra 5g 22 as it will have dedicated amd graphics in some form and better cameras like alot better as they will be working with olympus.

like if you have a snapdragon 835 or better phone hold off...if you have the money then maybe

5. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, of course the sensor is only part of the equation. If it's paired with a small aperture or the computational photography is poor, it won't do you much good. The reason I mentioned it is because the size is extraordinary in the world of smartphones, a clear move in the right direction from the already big 1/1.33" ISOCELL HM3 and 1/1.31" GN1. What needs to happen next is for the ridiculous megapixel count to come back down. It's pretty bad image quality and processing power is being sacrifised for a marketing gimmick. The sacrifice is particularly notable when shooting video—according to Sammobile, smartphones don't use pixel-binning for video.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:

you are 99 percent correct the 108mp sensor on the ultra is far from a gimmick this generation...you can crop to 100 percent and still have a crystal sharp image...typically though yes large mp counts are a gimmick...also id like too add 100x is absolutely 100 percent a gimmick the pictures are unusable but 30-50x looks sharp

if you want i can show you some pictures i can take a pic or two of my dog sophie....i think you would be suprised

7. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh, the camera in the S21 Ultra is plenty capable. However, the additional detail when shooting in the sensor's native resolution seems to be down to bypassing the phone's on-board pixel-binning algorithms, not because the additional resolution in itself is decisive. I still think we would be better off with large sensors in the 12 - 16 MP range.
    https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s21_ultra-review-2219p6.php

Feel free to provide samples, but I think the more interesting comparison would be 108 MP vs 108 MP downscaled to 12 MP, not 108 MP vs photo shot in 12 MP mode. That way, we can properly assess if the additional resolution adds detail.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    point taken but still they are the best photos on a phone i have seen

Convel likes this.
  9. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Agreed, the S21 Ultra captures excellent photos and Samsung's image processing has become much more true-to-life. The Exynos vs Snapdragon debate also isn't very significant this time around, unlike the situation with the Note 20 Ultra. With Samsung also comitting to four years of monthly security updates for it's high-end models, things are looking up.

JRE84 likes this.
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    i watched a few videos on the s21 before buying and your right your pretty educated and im impressed

Last edited: May 2, 2021