S-XPS 1645 Throttling Info. and Updates

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by atlstang, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperMario1990

SuperMario1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have installed throttle stop and it seems to have not even make a difference to my laptops heating problem at all

2. DuranXL

DuranXL Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

• Yep check the GPU output vent for dust. You could also remove the intake filters from the bottom of the laptop for more intake.
      I've removed so much dust I could make socks out of it

• I replaced stock paste with AS5, they did a real sjitty job with the stock paste

• A09 allows higher temps before throttling the GPU, so for performance this is the best bios. A13 will downclock the GPU at 84c.
      edit: BIOS A13.5 from http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/521990-bios-modding-gpu-oc-fun-profit.html is bios A13 (and more), but with the videobios from A09. (=best ;))

• Be aware that if you dont replace the paste and clean the laptop, it will be 'impossible' to play games with the LCD open.
      Even if you did apply AS5 paste, I still recommend connecting a separate screen. The dell engineers failed in designing this XPS; when you open the LCD the screen blocks the output-fan. Also I place my XPS on a stand so it can suck in air from underneath.

• Throttlestop is for overruling the dell downclocking of the CPU, it will not make your laptop cooler, only warmer (and perform better)

3. albertfu

albertfu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone

I recently bought an i7 920XM (SLBLW not Q3B8) to replace i7 720QM for better performance. I also reapplied thermal paste with AS5, cleaned fan and heatsink and removed the bottom plate for better cooling. For power supply I use a PA-4E 130W adapter.

Thanks to Throttlestop 4.10, I can tweak on TRL and TPL of this extreme edition CPU and get results below, which is not as good as I expected, since someone posted in this thread an i7 940XM running on 26*133MHz and all 8 threads fully loaded with wPrime.

• 1 thread test with superpi 32M :
    Maximum ratio = 30x, any value above this will cause sooner or later BSOD, but no instant shutdown, temp is not high during all tests. When TDP is set to 90W (I didn't try values above this when playing with SuperPi), it can reach somewhere around 3.9GHz, but never 4GHz.

• Burning tests with Prime95 and wPrime v2.09 (8 threads fully loaded) :
    Prime95 run under the "maximum heat" mode and wPrime test length is set to 1024M.
    Safe TDP = 70W. With this value, Prime95 test can last 20min without temp hitting above 97 degree and no worker will halt ; wPrime can finish 1024M run without any problem. During all tests, turbo ratio remains 18x even I set TRL to 25x.
    But with TDP > 70W, wPrime will cause sooner or later BSOD with temp not above 95 ; Prime95 will get workers halted and meantime, temp will soon hit near 100C and then instant shutdown.

• Test with wPrime 32M (8 threads):
    TDP is set to 95W (like Clarksfield's desktop equivalent, Lynnfield i7 880).
    wPrime can safely pass 32M test as much times as you wish, with turbo ratio = 25x. With TRL > 25x, test cause instant BSOD.

So to resume this, TRL limit for i7 920XM on XPS 1645 is 30x for 1 thread test and 25x for 8 thread test; TDP limit for burning test is 70W, during which turbo ratio remains 18x. Compared to that post showing 26x with 8 threads fully loaded, I admit that I am a little bit disappointed.

Actually I did a little search before I got this CPU, but found no one posts their OC results of i7 920XM / 940XM on XPS 1645 (they use mostly Alienware or Clevo machines). So I wish this post could let other users of XPS 1645 and unlocked CPU compare with their results, and see if ever there is another way to improve cooling / power supply for better results, like more powerful 150W or 210W AC adapter, better thermal paste, etc. or simply I unfortunately got a lemon copy of i7 920XM.:(

Thanks in advance

4. albertfu

albertfu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Voilà the post I mentionned above, 5150Joker uses Alienware M17x and i7 940XM, maybe that explains everything (TRL limit = 26x compared to 25x of i7 920XM, better cooling and power supply with M17x compared to XPS 1645).

But still I wish other users could share their experiences with these extreme edition CPU on XPS 1645, I'm sure that I'm not the only one doing this. :)

5. SuperMario1990

Reputations:

okay so i went ahead and bought a new heat sink for my laptop and i tried taking it apart and oding it myslf but i ended up going in to geek squad at bestbuy and getting them to do it for e and i also bought the paste and got them to do it for me.. i've noticed a change in temps but not enough for my computer to be so hot that it hurts my hands.. i also started using a dual fan cooling paad but tht onlys drops about 2 degrees... im about to download A06 but that wont make my computer cooler right ?..

what else can i do please help... i know theres got to be something since there's still people using this type of laptop.. currently im getting a avg of 60 degrees celcius and thats only using youtube. ideas anyone?

and before you through ideas ill let you know what i have done

list
    replaced 90w with 130 w adapter
    replaced the heat sink and paste with a new one(done by bestbuy)
    downloaded throttlestop.
    and currently downloading A09

6. SuperMario1990

Reputations:
    i tried to install bios A09 but it wont let me it says that i have the newest version of bios for my laptop. what should i do

7. DuranXL

DuranXL Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Use bios 13.5W from the topic I gave you.

About the heat, there's not much else you can do. If the paste is applied correctly and you have removed all the dust, it should be fine. How hot do the CPU and GPU get? (throttlestop can tell you).

Still if you put it on your lap with LCD up and play a game it will get hot regardless. It's not designed to do this.
    If you wanna play games connect external monitor and close the LCD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.