S-XPS 1645 Throttling Info. and Updates

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by atlstang, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jagger08

Jagger08 Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought my studio xps 1645 at the beginning of last year (January) and it's been fine until recently, when I noticed throttling issues. I contacted Dell, and they swapped my 90w adapter for the 130w, and I updated my BIOS. Hoping that was the end of it, I opened my newly purchased BF3 to find that I still had the same issues, and that at anything other than low res/quality, it was unplayable and even then, it would become unresponsive after 5 minutes or so.

I tried ThrottleStop, and saw that my processor was still being throttling by clock modulation. Using the program, I could stop the throttling, and the game ran fine (at lower res at least, didn't try higher). However, after a couple of minutes of having ThrottleStop enabled, my computer simply turns off – no BSOD. Both my screen and the external monitor turn black and the computer shuts down a few seconds later.

tl;dr throttlestop fixes the throttling but causes my 1645 to crash when running intensive applications

What I'm wondering, is whether it could be crashing due to overheating, or whether it's something else. Any ideas?

Edit: I had installed MSI Afterburner, to monitor my GPU, and it worked a couple of times. When running the game, my GPU was around 97% consistently, until the throttling started and it dropped rapidly to ~20%, though it returned when I enabled throttlestop. The temperature got as high as 84C; every time I try to open MSI Afterburner now, it instantly freezes my computer, so I can't get any more readings. Could this mean that the GPU is simply overloading?

Edit 2: I've pasted a log from ThrottleStop here. You can see the CMod drops to 12.5% at 21:54:12, and I enable ThrottleStop at 21:57:18 and the CMod raises back to 100%. However, with TS enabled, the temperature of the CPU seems to increase, and the computer crashes when the DTS falls low - can't see how low, as the TS logs didn't update regularly enough.

2. Fenikkusu

Fenikkusu Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Jagger08 You're shutting down because while throttlestop stops the overheating each bios of the 1645 has a different shutdown temp if I'm not mistaken. The same would happen to me if I didn't monitor my temps while running it. A09 is the best bios to run (higher temp threshold) IIRC.

3. Jagger08

Jagger08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Fenikkusu, thanks for the advice. I tried installing A09, but because I already have A13 installed, it won't let me downgrade. Is there a way to get around that, or do you have any other suggestions? Cheers.

4. Fenikkusu

Reputations:
  5. Jagger08

Jagger08 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I've downgraded it, and it doesn't shut down as quickly now. The temperature of the GPU still hits the limit though, so I'm going to try a few things to bring it down, like removing the filter on the fan.

6. Fenikkusu

Reputations:
    Wow really? I guess running BF3 that's not that surprising it's pretty intense and the 1645 has awful cooling. I dealt with mine for almost 2 years before trading it in. I used to have a fan blowing behind my XPS to help cool it while I played that + a cooling pad to keep temps out of the shutdown zone. I don't think I ran anything as graphically intensive as BF3 though.

7. DuranXL

DuranXL Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Jagger
    My XPS shutdown because of overheating before I reapplied paste and cleaned it. It only shut itself down at GPU 105c.

Please activate GPU in throttlestop settings and paste a log here from BF3

8. SuperMario1990

SuperMario1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hey guys i really NEED help.so it's apr 2012 and this laptop has been out a few years and i just got it second hand. the specs seemed amazing so i just had to get it. found out theres a overheating issue. its so hot that it hurts my hands. i've tried cleaning out the inside with compressed air. ive done a stress test and and it maxes around 90c+ degrees and it had shut down on me once so far and i have yet to even do anythign thing besides facebook and youtube. i like this laptop but have i just lost a 1000 dollars? i need to know what to do?

9. aLcH3m!sT

aLcH3m!sT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2 simple steps bro......
    When you get a second hand notebook you need to do 2 things.
    1. Change the thermal compound and use ArticSilver5 or something better for both the CPU and GPU. There is a link on how to do it as well.
    Link: http://forum.notebookreview.com/del...ging-thermal-paste-as5-studio-xps-1645-a.html
    2. Check the "heat vents" for any blocks. Thats usually the major reason why most of the laptops give out. Had a lot of experience in this sector. As well as the filter should be cleaned.
    3. Also check whether he has updated his bios as well (A09 the best bios as o now):) .

That's that... Let me know if this solves your issues.

10. SuperMario1990

SuperMario1990 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i installed a new heat sink and it dropped the heat a bit, alspo i updated the bio to a13.. is there a difference between a09 and a13?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.