S-XPS 1645 Throttling Info. and Updates

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by atlstang, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DuranXL

DuranXL Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Place your XPS on a stand so it can suck air from underneath (ye I know, but it works). And remove the dustfilter. Saves you 5-10c

2. leite1987

leite1987 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi there.
    Can someone please tell me if the XPS 1645 is compatible with this 150W AC Adapter for Dell Alienware M15x?

The only info I have from the advertisement is
    Manufacturer Part Number: N426P
    Dell Part Number: 330-5829

Here's the link
    DELL Adaptador CA de 3 pinos de 150 watts com cabo de alimentação de 3,28 pés para notebook Dell Alienware M15x : Acessórios para Notebooks | Dell Brasil

It's said to be compatible with:
    Alienware M15x
    Alienware M17x
    XPS 14 (L401X)
    XPS 15 (L501X)

Thanks in advance!

3. Dellienware

Dellienware Workstations & Ultrabooks

Reputations:

I THINK having extra watt is ok because your laptop will only ask for so much it needs. Just like desktop PSU. I THINK.

Anyways, you could get that brick and just use the connector from your original power brick since generic dell power has the same type connector from the power bruck to the actual laptop. If u know what i mean... (the whole power supply is in parts. One for power brick itself and one cable to connect the power brick to yo laptop)

so that should be able to work. but having 150w wont make your laptop use all that juice unless the bios and stuff allows to draw that extra power... im not sure if this issue has been solved to draw EXTRA from 130w people have been getting so just letting you know. maybe it is allowed idk

4. leite1987

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply Dellienware.

My XPS 1645 was delivered with a 90W adapter and I never got a 130W one from Dell, since I live in BR (bought the damn thing in the US and never managed to get one sent for free).

Anyway, my original adapter died and the brazilian online dell store offers this 90W XPS compatible adapter (DELL Adaptador CA de 3 pinos de 90 watts com cabo de alimentação de 3 pés para os notebooks Dell Inspiron/Latitude/Studio/XPS/workstation móvel Precision : Acessórios para Notebooks | Dell Brasil.

Beyond 90W, there's only one option: that 150W adapter (DELL Adaptador CA de 3 pinos de 150 watts com cabo de alimentação de 3,28 pés para notebook Dell Alienware M15x : Acessórios para Notebooks | Dell Brasil.

I do believe having more than 130W is not a problem. I also know that it won't get more power then bios orders it to. What I wonder is if it will work at all with my XPS1645.

I'm not sure I understood what u said about using the connector from my original power brick, cuz I don't think it can be unplugged.

The whole power supply is, indeed, composed of two parts:
    one is made of the power brick itself + the cable that connects it to the laptop (can't be unplugged);
    and the other part, that can be unplugged, is the cable that connects the power brick to the wall socket.
    (check the image)

Will the 150W adapter's connector work with my XPS1645? (will it plug in?)
    Can anyone tell me if I'll have any compatibility issues?

Attached Files:

• foto.JPG
      foto.JPG
      File size:
      415.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Dellienware

Reputations:

1) The 150w could be directly compatible.. I had all 90, 130, 150w psus and owned the M15x myself. I remember the shape of the power connector to the laptop being all the same for sxps16, precision m4500, and M15x. However, the circular metal connector to the laptop could have a different diameter for different model.. But realize this: 90w and 130w have the same compatibility, so why would 20w more make a difference? but again this isnt guarantee

2) I saw the picture. Look at the cable on the left. There are two ends. The metalic end goes to the wall and the black plastic end goes to the power brick which is in the right. So what I meant was that physically, there are two different components to the entire power supply. So what i was telling you was that: order the 150w power and use your current cable (left in the picture) to connect to the new power brick. Because I am 99% sure that the black plastic end of the cable is basically dell standard so it should fit 150w power one (although it was from 90w one).

just for reference, if the dell is sending you the latest stock and if that psu is the CAPABLE, standard psu for M15x, I can assure you that the actual product will look much different from the one in the picture at dell website. The psu for M15x looks exactly same as the 90w and 130w ones. its just that it is much thicker. but then the whole structure of having the cable and brick would be the same.

cant you just order and return it if for some reason it doesnt work?

also before you use it, make sure your bios or whatever will fully utilitize the 130w. u dont want it using max 90w with that 150w.

hope it helps

6. leite1987

Reputations:
    Thanks again.

I think I understood now. But if the new adapter comes with a cable of it's own than there's no point on using the old one, right?

I believe I have 7 days to return any product bought from internet (legally speaking, I don't know what is dell's policy).

7. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Your Worst Nightmare

Reputations:
    Part may fit but it all depends if the bios accepts it. If the bios doesn't support 150w it will only draw 130w from it so you really don't see an benefit

8. Dellienware

Reputations:

If the new cable will directly fit well in your laptop power connector, which is more likely the case, then yea you can use that.

if the 150w is the only option after 90w, then i guess you dont have the choice in the first place. but i guess if u get a new laptop or something maybe u can use it later too.

At this moment, if I were you, I would personally get that 150w because I believe that there are much much greater chance of it being compatible.

9. gpig

gpig Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm guessing that the 150w adapter would be compatible with the system (drawing 130w). In the BIOS updates notes (A09), they added support for the 230w business beast laptop adapter "to treat as 130w adapter" so there's a good chance the closer-to-130w 150w adapter should be good to go.

10. Dellienware

Reputations:

yes and for some reason it doesnt work, i m sure dell has return policy to let you return

good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.