Ryzen vs Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by LaMOi, Jun 3, 2021.

1. LaMOi

LaMOi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK… But guarantee it will. Likely Rockstar will release a ‘new’ edition that will perform at 60 with all the graphical flourishes on consoles.

RDR2 is a taxing game. But I thought it did run at 60 on consoles. Not yet I guess.

still I dont think you can beat consoles for value for money vs performance.

But my view — a full powered RTX 3070 paired with a Ryzen 7, that’s a pretty potent mix that should run anything super smooth for the next few years. Otherwise that’s a lot of money to lay down if not…..

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I can't put an Xbox and a monitor in a backpack and take it with me when I travel, or rather I could, but it wouldn't be very convenient. You pay a price for that convenience. That and the ability to customize the settings in most games to get your preferred balance of visuals and performance.

3. LaMOi

Reputations:

Yeah that’s true. With a laptop you have mobility. But then you could get a Nintendo Switch?

But if you mostly play at home. I think it’s difficult to justify the price. When you consider consoles are around £400, and a gaming PC / laptop even a budget one with cost you £650.
    You also pay similar prices for desktops.
    And good luck playing the latest AAA games on a budget laptop/PC. To play Horizon Zero Dawn or Days Gone at 4k resolution and it look as good as the PS4 PRO or PS5 version, you will likely need a PC/laptop that will cost £900 + ……

PC gaming is an expensive hobby if it’s your main gaming platform.

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Consoles use checkerboard rendering, no games besides 2D ones run at native resolution, its been like that even on FHD games on the PS4/Xbox whatever model..

A laptop also has a screen, a keyboard, touchpad, battery, a multitude of IO ports and can do a LOT more than any console..

Even my old 980m can still play current gen games at medium settings, and it looks as good as any "4k" game on a console.

If you dont need a laptop, dont buy one, get a console instead.

5. LaMOi

Reputations:

Fair points.

But I’m talking about buying a PC/laptop purely for gaming.

and also the difference between checkerboard and native — honestly you would have to have both images side but side to really see the difference. But the series X / PS5 do native 4k.

My point is you cannot out perform consoles at that price point. At around £400 you cannot build the equivalent PC that could perform to that same standard.

Getting back into PC gaming (bought a budget laptop back in Feb) has really given me a renewed appreciation for consoles and what they offer at their respective price points.

Don’t get me wrong I really enjoy my little laptop (TW Warhammer 2 is so good!), but I only really bought it to play RTS games like Total War, Men of War: Assault Squad etc. Maybe some older titles and indies.

It’s a Ryzen 5 4500 with a GTX 1650. I got it for 650. I had to spend a further 70 updating to 16GB RAM.
    It runs these games reasonably well, but I think if my intention was to play AAA games — it would probably struggle. That’s £750 already and it could no way compete with PS5/Series X Performance. It can’t even compete with my PRO running certain games at their respective resolutions at locked 30fps.

Thats my point. If I’m on a budget and I’m wanting to choose a main gaming platform, I think consoles represent the better value option.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  6. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How did Ryzen vs. Intel turn into console > PC.

raz8020, etern4l and Reciever like this.
  7. LaMOi

Reputations:
    sorry that was me.

I derailed my own thread.

Papusan likes this.
  8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Consoles are terminals struggling not to be, PC's are not terminals and shouldnt be treated as such.

raz8020 likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Interesting that they reduce speed on the SSD, though I imagine it is likely an NVME (not sure if it is, might have missed that detail) which points to a Power saving setting akin to Link State Power?

Otherwise people would've been up in arms with Intel if it wasnt for ThrottleStop. No such thing as the perfect laptop despite us always looking for it lol